1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Photos: Open Your Blu-Ray/DVD Vault and show us your valuables

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    vault_image.
    I am certain there are quite a few of us that have Blu-rays or DVDs that were signed by talent.​
    Some of these signed titles in our possession may someday have some significant value to them.​
    Thought it would be fun to persuade some of you to open up your personal vault or take your precious title out of its hermetically sealed packaging and snap a photo to show us.​
    We would also like to know the history behind getting the product signed.​
    Here are my meager valuables....​
    DSC_0036.
    John Badham is one of my favorite directors. His films are reigning memories of my teen years. I did a DVD review of Saturday Night Fever many years ago which an associate of ours at Paramount shared with the Director. Mr. Badham was not only kind enough to write me a personal email of thanks, but was gracious enough to sign the insert that came with the DVD. One of these days I hope to meet Mr. Badham and have him sign my Blu-ray as well. ​
    DSC_0038.
    During one of our very first HTF meets in early 2000, our members were very fortunate enough to have a personal session with X-MEN director Brian Singer and co-creator Stan Lee. Brian wasn't much of a name at the time, but having this DVD signed by both Brian and Stan is something I am very proud of.​
    DSC_0039.
    Here's the DVD that is so valuable I have to keep it under lock and key. The Smithsonian has been asking for first dibs on this when I die. It's a copy of REAR WINDOW signed by Robert Harris. Actually, I value this signed DVD as much as I do Mr. Harris' friendship. He has been a dear friend of mine and this forum for many, many years.​

SAhmed, Will Krupp and Osato like this.
  2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    That's a nice selection of autographs you have. It's might be interesting to note that on only one could I read the autograph. The others I had to read your text to know who they are. You ought to get them framed. They make deep wall-hanging cases for items such as this.

3. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Founder
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Framing may not be a bad idea after all, Johnny.

Interested to see what other members here have.

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I hope you don't mind, but I'm going to push the envelope a little. My prized possession is not a DVD or Blu-Ray cover, but the movie is on blu-ray, in 3D even. I carved the classic poster from Creature from the Black Lagoon on a real, giant pumpkin in 2009. Just this past year I finally got a bee in my bonnet to get the picture autographed.

With some diligent research I found the mailing addresses I needed. One by one, I sent the print to each party (with return priority mail enclosed), along with a signing fee, and got these three autographs.

The top left signature is Julie Adams who played the beauty Kay Lawrence above water, the top right signature is Ricou Browning who played the creature underwater, and the bottom signature is Ginger Stanley who played Kay Lawrence underwater. The above water creature was played by Ben Chapman, who had already passed away when I decided to to this. I'd loved to have gotten Richard Denning, Richard Carlson, Nestor Paiva and Jack Arnold, but they had already passed away.

[​IMG]

5. hotrodguy

hotrodguy Stunt Coordinator

Cliff
    This is kind of a cool topic and I'm happy to participate.

For many years I was a DVD/BD Producer and worked with many different celebrities, here are just a handful of the ones I worked with. Also as you can see in my avatar, my pic is my 55 Chevy and it too has been autographed by many celebrities over the years, some of whom appear below where they also signed my DVD's or LD's. My largest collection of autographs is actually inside my car, not hanging on my walls. It has been a pleasure and a great opportunity meeting all these cool people.

This DVD I actually worked on with the band, they are real nice guys and a pleasure to hang out with. Justin Hayward, Graeme Edge and John Lodge.

CIMG9332.JPG

While working on other movies with the cast and/or crew, I asked if they would sign my copy of whatever DVD I owned that they had previously done.

This first one is Dom DeLuise and he signed my "Cannonball Run" DVD as well as the photo. We didn't actually work on a project together but we did get to hang out and talk for a while.

CIMG9325.JPG

This one is Bruce Campbell when we worked on the Bonus Features for the "My Name Is Bruce" DVD and BD, I'm sure you can figure out that the DVD is the Book of the Dead from "Evil Dead".

CIMG9327.JPG

CIMG9328.JPG

This one is Tim Sullivan when we worked on the Bonus Features for the "Driftwood" DVD, as you can see I asked to him to sign my copy of "2001 Maniacs". Since then we have become good friends and still get together to hang out.

CIMG9329.JPG

This one is Cindy Williams when we worked on the Bonus Features for "The First Nudie Musical" DVD, here I asked her to sign my LD copy of "American Graffiti" and my car. In the car she wrote the line she said to Harrison Ford when she got into his 55, "Don't say anything and we'll get along just fine." She is such a sweetheart!

CIMG9330.JPG

And the last one for now is Tom Sizemore when we worked on the Bonus Features for "Splinter", directed by Michael Olmos, who can also be seen in the picture. Obviously here I asked Tom to sign my LD copy of "The Relic". What great day that was working with these guys.

CIMG9333.JPG

While I do have others, this is just a taste of the great opportunities I have had with some really wonderful people. I hope you enjoyed my stories and I look forward to yours.

Thanks,
    hotrodguy

Johnny Angell likes this.
  6. John Sparks

John Sparks Producer

John Sparks
    Boy, that would have looked great on a LD and framed! My avatar is when Ray Harryhausen came to my house to look at my media room dedicated to his movies.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  7. Charles Smith

Charles Smith Extremely Talented Member

Charles Smith
    Ron, what a great idea for a thread!

I'm hooked already. Keep these coming, please.

8. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I would love to hear more from you about your relationship with Ray and how he came to visit you at your house.

9. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Almost all of my signed material is in laserdisc form which is, unfortunately, all in storage. Got some doozies-- John Landis, Rob Tapert, Cameron Crowe, but the best is my Russ Meyer box-set and BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS, all signed by Meyer and a bunch of his regulars from a screening at the Egyptian in the late 1990s.

10. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    First is a signed Close Encounters Blu-ray by Vilmos Zsigmond, Director of Photography, who I met briefly at the Milwaukee Film Festival 2 years ago. They had a theatrical 35mm screening of the film and a Q&A with Mr. Zsigmond afterwards. Very charming man who had quite a few opinions about digital cameras, etc. In short, he felt that anything that had been shot up until that time was poor in quality and wouldn't stand the test of time (Star Wars prequels, anyone?). Regardless, it was a thrill to meet and talk with the guy who literally shot my favorite movie. My most valuable treasure from the vault.

ce3k zsigmond.

Second is a signed North by Northwest DVD by Martin Landau. I met Mr. Landau in Milwaukee in 2009 for the 50th Anniversary of NNW and was able to speak with him for about 5 minutes. The quote I'll never forget was when Mr. Landau, in a perfect Cary Grant impersonation, discussed with himself the popularity of the film over the decades: "Y'know, Martin, we must have done something right with that one; everyone seems to keep talking about it!"

nnw landau.

11. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    These are ones that are probably most notable in my collection:- Nightmare Castle signed by Barbara Steele (a friend of mine is friends with her and hooked me up).- The first dvd from Trailers From Hell signed by Joe Dante and Mick Garris (a producer's signature is on the back too).- Dark Sky's pulled dvd of Mario Bava's Kill Baby Kill. I found it I a store in Chicago, used and still sealed.

Attached Files:

12. hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Second Unit

Mike
    What features are on the Dark Sky Bava disc?I don't have anything anywhere near as cool as anyone here like signed or anything :(. I feel diminished. The only rarities I have a the Criterion DVD of Kurosawa's Ran (Why couldn't they hang on to the Blu-Ray rights? Why?) and the lenticular cover version of the 1986 The Transformers: The Movie. And I found an old VHS copy of Yuzna's Society at a garage sale, still sealed, but I don't know if that counts. How the hell it wound up in the white bread suburbs, I'll never know ;).

13. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Cinematographer
    Supporter

This is my prized possession. Romero came to one of the Columbus 24-Hour Horror Marathons one year. He was incredibly gracious and open.

Me-and-Romero.
    NOTLDRomero.

I also have this DVD of some of my favorite Claymation shorts autographed by Will Vinton. Rip Van Winkle is amazing!

IMG_0816.JPG

Johnny Angell and Mark Walker like this.
  14. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    I'll post my pics latter, but I got Danny Glover to autograph "the Color Purple", and Peter S. Beagle to autograph "The Last Unicorn."

15. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
  16. clambake

clambake Stunt Coordinator

Jamie
    I've collected autographs for half my life so I have several of these. Here's some..

Adam West
    [​IMG]

Ann-Margret
    [​IMG]

Brigitte Bardot
    [​IMG]

Franco Nero
    [​IMG]

Gregory Harrison
    [​IMG]

Harry Dean Stanton
    [​IMG]

Henry Winkler
    [​IMG]

Kyle MacLachlan
    [​IMG]

Stuart Whitman
    [​IMG]

17. John Sparks

John Sparks Producer

John Sparks
    Johnny, I sent you a PM and your signed pumpkin is awesome.

18. hanshotfirst1138

hanshotfirst1138 Second Unit

Mike
  19. bgart13

bgart13 Screenwriter

Ben
    If you can even find a copy anymore. It never even made it to market -- any out there are promos, it seems.

20. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

I have an orange signed by Robert Taylor

Richard V and Johnny Angell like this.