Photos of my Adire 281, Sonosub, E-center; on my new site

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric M Jones, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

2. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Wow, very impressive site, I like the design. Of course everything on it is just as impressive [​IMG]
    Thanks for sharing.
    Dean

3. Tom J. Davis

Tom J. Davis Second Unit

Great site!! I wish I had that much talent when it comes to woodworking. I'm doing good if I cut a 2x4 straight.

4. TerryC

TerryC Stunt Coordinator

Eric,
    Looks awesome! My whole house is that birch/maple metal motif as well as I think it gives a very "clean" look imo.
    Looking forward to seeing what you build to compliment the future RPTV.
    Terry
    PS-You might want to make the pictures larger when you click on them, seem a little small to me, just an after thought.

5. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Thank you all, glad you like the site and equipment.
    TerryC,
    I intentionally kept the picture size small for speed. Maybe there a little too? What resolution are you running in?
    I'm just looking forward to having a RPTV :)
    -EJ

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Nice job! I think you've convinced me to veneer my new DIY center channel speaker as well. And thanks for the acknowledgement on your sub page. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs

7. TerryC

TerryC Stunt Coordinator

Eric,
    I have a 19" monitor set to 1280 X 1024.
    Terry

8. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Patrick,
    Your welcome. I couldn't have built my sub without your incredible step by step site. Go for the veneer it's definelty worth it, and use danish oil you won't be sorry.
    Terry,
    That's a pretty high rez. they probably look quite small, sorry about that.
    -EJ

9. RyanL

RyanL Stunt Coordinator

I love the layout of your site. Very easy to navigate. I like what you did with the center channel rack. I will need to do something similar to mine, as right now I have a book that the center speaker is resting on to try an angle it towards the listening area.

10. Ben Yang

Ben Yang Extra

Great site Eric, what program are you using to author that?
    Also, I wanted to know the following:
    Where did you get the grill for the port?
    How did you paint it?
    Did you use a flared port or straight PVC?
    I'm trying to do a sonotube in stealth mode, and will paint / cover it offwhite behind a chair to minimize inroom visibility (WAF). I want to do something similar to yours, with a 18" dia x 32" height, port top, driver below. The shorter I can make it, the easier it will be to hide. :)
    Any reason to switch it and put the driver on top, other than weight balance and stability?
    Thanks
    Ben

11. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Thanks guys, glad you like the site.
    Ben,
    I didn't use an authoring program, the site is hand coded. I do use BB Edit which is kind of a fancy wordpad app. it helps in keeping things organized. Other than that, it was built the old fashioned way. A co-worker of mine helped me with some of the Java-script so I can't take all of the credit.
    To answer you Sonosub questions:
    1. I bought the grill at http://www.partsexpress.com
    As far as switching which end the driver goes in, I don't think it matters sound wise. I imagine it would be rather top heavy though.
    Thanks again,
    -EJ

12. Kyle G

Kyle G Auditioning

Wow, nice site!!! [​IMG] the speakers look great and the site design is also really well done. I love the veneer, looks just like the stuff I used on my DIY speakers.
    Once again, great job! [​IMG]
    ------------------
    "Hearing and listening are two entirely diffrent things"
    www.angelfire.com/movies/myhometheater

13. MattE

MattE Extra

I'm having trouble navigating the site. I use IE 5.5 and it won't let me scroll down (no scroll bar on the side.)

14. TerryC

TerryC Stunt Coordinator

Eric and Kyle,
    Where are you guys purchasing the laminate and what sizes does it come in? How wide can you get before there is going to be a seam in it?
    Thanks
    Terry

15. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think the most common size is 4'x8' or 2'x8'. I'm going to have to get the 4'x8' size since I won't have enough material (going seamless) if I go with the 2'x8' size with my CC speaker.
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs

16. Eric M Jones

Eric M Jones Second Unit

Terry,
    I bought mine at a local hardwood supplier. You should be able to find some at a similar store in your area. Just look under "hardwoods" in the yellow pages. If the shop is big enought they should have a good range of species for you to choose from.
    Pat's right it usually comes in 4'x8' sheets. Some shops will cut to 4'x4' or 2'x8' depending on your need.
    FYI- Cost wise birch and maple are on the less expensive end. I paid $60 for the 4'x8' I used on my cc. I have enough left over to finish my 81's with it also. Walnut, Mahogony, and the Burls are much more expensive.
    Hope you find something you like.
    -EJ

17. TerryC

TerryC Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Eric and Patrick,
    Question about those 4 X 8' sheets, are they seamless or do they have seams where they glued multiple pieces together to make the 4 X 8 sheet? I have found sheets with seams but want would like the seamless type. Birch or Maple would be my choices not sure how much of a difference that makes?
    I think what I need is the veneer cut the rotary method: http://www.woodgallery.com/veneercuts.html
    It might also be called 1 ply??????? Not sure though?
    Thanks
    Terry