What's new

Photos from Rush concert (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Gave my new Canon S5 a workout at the recent Rush concert last week. The photos aren't all that great, and I was really far away, probably over 60 yards away, so I was maxing out the 12X zoom for most shots of Alex, Geddy and Neil on stage.

I took a lot of photos just to a feel for the limitation of the S5, so I'd be ready for Dragon Con at the end of August. Focusing in low-light conditions at the max end of the zoom did prove to be problematic at times (good to know). I mainly shot in manual mode with no flash (except for a couple of shots in the dark during intermission) and relied on the stage lighting for the evening with hit-and-miss results.

Part 1:
Rush concert - Part 1 - Atlanta 7/22/08 - a set on Flickr

Part 2:
Rush concert - Part 2 - Atlanta 7/22/08 - a set on Flickr

I have no idea why a guy in a chicken suit was on stage.

Photos of the crowd, plus the new venue (Verizon Amphitheater, north of Atlanta, GA). It was an overcast evening (rain was pouring the hour before the concert was to start):
Rush concert - Faces in the crowd - 8/22/08 - a set on Flickr

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Patrick,

It looks like you succeeded in your mission. The camera did well when the lights were high, but struggled when they were turned down low. You were definitely pushing the limits of your camera there. You would probably need a very fast telephoto prime lens and a DSLR to pull off those shots.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You can get the Nifty Fifty for under a hundred bux and new XTs and used 20Ds are usually under $300. You can get a cheap zoom but in low light they will struggle.

Anyway, there are a few great pics in there, thanks for sharing.

Also, I finally heard the origin of the name 'Geddy' from a radio DJ the other day, very interestin

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I saw this show in Minneapolis. Great show. I loved the chicken jokes with Geddy's Chicken Rotisseries, and all the great video work that they did. The pix made me smile a lot. I wanted to take pix, but the time prior that I saw Rush, they were patting people down at the door, confiscating cameras, so I didn't bring it to this one. I only succeeded in getting a few crappy shots with my phone. So, I'm glad to be able to view these. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks