Photo Paper suggestions for Epson Printers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joseph S, Jun 22, 2002.

1. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Well, I've had very good luck using Kodak Legal Sized Photo Paper for printing custom DVD Covers. However, at around $1 a sheet, I'd like to scale images to 99% and print on 8.5 x 11 paper.

Everything is great with the 8.5", except the Epson has these "pizza ejection wheels" that are leaving spiked tracks in the Office Max Premium Photo inkjet paper printouts. I'm wondering if anyone else still has this issue with the Kodak 8.5" paper.

My guess is that the ink has a tad more time to dry before hitting those "ejection wheels" with a legal size piece of paper due to the margin size of about 1" versus .13mm.

Printer Model: Epson Stylus Photo 780

2. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

I've used an Epson Stylus Photo 820, and it has the wheels, too. Using Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper, I have not noticed the "spiking" (I know exactly what you're talking about, I experienced it with a Canon printer). It could be that with the Epson paper, the ink dries quicker, or maybe the paper is harder or something.

This paper is usually about $15 for 20 sheets. Only a little bit cheaper than what you were using.

In general, it's a good idea to use paper made by the same company as the printer. Many scoff at that idea, but the fact is, the printer manufacturers do design their inks and their papers to work together, and it does make a difference.

3. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

I'm with Justin. Epson Premium Glossy Photo is the best I've ever used. I used to use TDK but suffered similar problems to those you describe - even after a couple of days the ink would 'stick' to the plastic of a CD case. Not good.
    The Epson Premium has no such problems and the colour accuracy, finish and weight (a hefty 254gsm) is superb.
    I use the Photo 890.

4. Joseph S

Joseph S Cinematographer

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Now, I just need to wait for my next order from 123inkjets.com. 3 Colors gone in 1.5 days. [​IMG]

5. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

I buy Epson Photo Paper (works best for Epson printers) at Costco for $29.95 for 100 sheets. This is Canadian, so it's probably much cheaper in the US.

6. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Costco has the Epson Photo Paper on their web site for $19.99 for 100 sheets.
    Click here to read more about it.
    Parker

7. JJR512

JJR512 Supporting Actor

Just for the record, Epson Photo Paper is not the same as Epson Premium Photo Paper. It may be that Epson Photo Paper will also solve Joseph S's problem (the pizza wheel marks), but if it doesn't, don't say I said it would, because it's not the same thing.

Epson has a lot of different paper products, many with very similar names just like this, and it can be confusing. You have to be extremely careful you're getting exactly what you want.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Epson's 'regular' Photo Paper is also really, really good stuff and probably will solve the problem. However the Premium is heavier, has a nicer finish and has better colour and detail reproduction.

9. Kami

Kami Screenwriter

Yes the regular photo paper is great. personally I don't like the extra helping of gloss on the other stuff (nor the extra price [​IMG]). Epson makes good stuff.

10. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter