What's new

Photo Paper suggestions for Epson Printers? (1 Viewer)

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've had very good luck using Kodak Legal Sized Photo Paper for printing custom DVD Covers. However, at around $1 a sheet, I'd like to scale images to 99% and print on 8.5 x 11 paper.

Everything is great with the 8.5", except the Epson has these "pizza ejection wheels" that are leaving spiked tracks in the Office Max Premium Photo inkjet paper printouts. I'm wondering if anyone else still has this issue with the Kodak 8.5" paper.

My guess is that the ink has a tad more time to dry before hitting those "ejection wheels" with a legal size piece of paper due to the margin size of about 1" versus .13mm.

Printer Model: Epson Stylus Photo 780

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
I've used an Epson Stylus Photo 820, and it has the wheels, too. Using Epson Premium Glossy Photo Paper, I have not noticed the "spiking" (I know exactly what you're talking about, I experienced it with a Canon printer). It could be that with the Epson paper, the ink dries quicker, or maybe the paper is harder or something.

This paper is usually about $15 for 20 sheets. Only a little bit cheaper than what you were using.

In general, it's a good idea to use paper made by the same company as the printer. Many scoff at that idea, but the fact is, the printer manufacturers do design their inks and their papers to work together, and it does make a difference.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Justin. Epson Premium Glossy Photo is the best I've ever used. I used to use TDK but suffered similar problems to those you describe - even after a couple of days the ink would 'stick' to the plastic of a CD case. Not good.
The Epson Premium has no such problems and the colour accuracy, finish and weight (a hefty 254gsm) is superb.
I use the Photo 890.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the suggestions.
Now, I just need to wait for my next order from 123inkjets.com. 3 Colors gone in 1.5 days. :D

Kami

Screenwriter
I buy Epson Photo Paper (works best for Epson printers) at Costco for $29.95 for 100 sheets. This is Canadian, so it's probably much cheaper in the US.

JJR512

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Justin J. Rebbert
Just for the record, Epson Photo Paper is not the same as Epson Premium Photo Paper. It may be that Epson Photo Paper will also solve Joseph S's problem (the pizza wheel marks), but if it doesn't, don't say I said it would, because it's not the same thing.

Epson has a lot of different paper products, many with very similar names just like this, and it can be confusing. You have to be extremely careful you're getting exactly what you want.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Epson's 'regular' Photo Paper is also really, really good stuff and probably will solve the problem. However the Premium is heavier, has a nicer finish and has better colour and detail reproduction.

Kami

Screenwriter
Yes the regular photo paper is great. personally I don't like the extra helping of gloss on the other stuff (nor the extra price ;)). Epson makes good stuff.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I buy Epson Photo Paper (works best for Epson printers) at Costco for $29.95 for
I have been buying and using the Epson Photo paper (premium glossy) from Costco for my HP 1215 color and is has produced fantastic results. When people come over and ask what camera they were taken with they then ask where they were developed and I tell them right here on my printer. Its hard for people to believe that printing that good can come from a standard printer. Now getting your digital images printed is getting easier I can throw them on a disc and take them to Costco or Walmart where they will develop them for between 25-35 cents per photo depending on the size I want (and compared to my printer the professional does look better).

KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread