What's new

Photo of the Year (1 Viewer)

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Admin: Please fix the typo in the title (teh = the) DOH!
This photo was sent to me this morning and it is claimed to be the real deal. It was snapped during a British Navy training exercise off the coast of South Africa. I was told it has been nominated as picture of the year (National Geographic, it seems)
Talk about a rough day at work!
You decide ... real or hoax?
UPDATE: found this to prove it's bogus. No surprise.
Oh well ... send it along to your nieve friends
Link Removed

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
It's fake.
That's the Golden Gate bridge in the background for starters.
Go have a search for "Shark" on www.snopes.com
They've actually got links to the "real" photos that were edited together to make the composite image.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
It looks pretty real, but with all the easily accessible imaging software out there. It could have easily been faked.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
That is so photoshopped.
Sharks don't jump out of the water like that. Not to mention the angle and attitude of its body is all wrong if it really were leaping out of the water.
Not to mention the sound of a helicopter that size would scare the living shit out of a shark.
Not to mention that's San Francisco bay. A great white next to the bridge? No.
Ugh, I just hate this silly hoax photos that get passed around as being real. :thumbsdown: Next we'll see that stupid photo of the VW Jetta with all the "lumber" strapped to the top with string.

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Sharks don't jump out of the water like that.
Actually they do. If you don't believe me, purchase the DVD from The Discovery Channel Link Removed!
Very cool programs. Those crazy, wacky sharks! You never know what they will come up with next!

Scott Dautel

Second Unit
Dennis:

Talk about ironic ... that Discovery channel DVD you linked to uses the same photo on the DVD cover that was used to doctor the Helicopter photo!

FWIW .. this week is "Shark Week" on Discovery. Probably the reason for the resurgence of this photo. Anyway, they've been running the special on breaching sharks in South Africa almost nightly. It is really amazing to see these mosnters leap out of the water with a big seal in their mouth.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, the background looks like golden gate bridge.. you dont get many sharks in sanfrancisco do ya? :)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
you dont get many sharks in sanfrancisco do ya?
Actually, this area is PRIME great white hunting territory, especially this time of year. I don't know about them actually coming into the bay itself, but just off the coast, both North and South there are large populations of seal and sea lion breeding areas and great whites are VERY common. In fact, there were beach closures yesterday due to sightings near public beaches.

As for the photo, it's pretty damn obvious that it is fake.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Like the famous "Bad Bay" MPEG of the guy wrecking his computer, the fact that this is a fake doesn't really make it any less funny to me. :)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Even if it was real, the guy was in no danger. I'm certain he had a can of Shark Repellent in his Bat Belt :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks