Photo Editing Freeware

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Luke_Y, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

I would like to put a basic photo editing app on my wife's notebook. I have Photoshop on the desktop but thats a bit much for her.

Just looking for easy to use basics. Crop,Resize,RedEye tool, maybe a brightness/contrast or balance adjustment or "Quick Fix". Ease of use would the priority here. Also I don't need it to have any organising features.

Didn't really want to spend $ on something that will rarely, possibly never get used. I was hoping there might be a decent basic freeware app out there. I have an old copy of MS Picture It and an old PhotoDeluxe but they are both like 5-6 years old.

I was thinking that even new freeware might be better than that old stuff. I was also worried that if I update her notebook to XP those old programs wouldn't work.

2. Christian Behrens

Christian Behrens Supporting Actor

Christian Behrens
    Did you do a search before asking? This one comes up quite a bit.

However, my suggestion is IrfanView.

-Christian

3. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

If you have Office XP there is an optional feature on there called MS Photo Editor. It does not install by default, but it's on there. It's not great, but it works and it's free if you already have Office.

4. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

I had heard of IrfanView but always thought it was more of a viewer like windows fax/photo viewer. I'll take a look at it.

Seth, still on office 2k.

Any other ideas?

5. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

PhotoEditer has been in every version of Office since 97.

But it doesn't include red eye removal. I think you'll need to move up to something like The Gimp to do that kind of work.

7. Luke_Y

Luke_Y Second Unit

HMM.. I think the gimp would overwhelm her judging by this Screenshot

What do you think of an older version (5-6 years) of MS Picture It, will it run on XP if I upgrade her notebook? Is an editor that old any good? I remember it being simple.

8. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Here's an idea that's not free, but not too expensive. I bought Adobe PhotoShop Album for my girlfriend. She had similar needs and it fits the bill perfectly. I've heard good things about PhotoShop Elements also, although I think Album may be better for beginners. She really loves it, it's simple, and it wasn't too expensive at all (check on Ebay for it also).

9. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Paint Shop Pro has a terrific red-eye removal tool. PSP is on version 8 now but you'd probably get a retail copy of v.7 on eBay for a good price. I sold mine a few weeks ago for £25.

10. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Sounds like Shutterfly Express is what you're after. Haven't used it, but it looks right on your target with minor adjustments, crops and resizes, and red eye removal. As with most free editing software, it has built in ways to order prints, but as a basic editor, it should be simple button level modifications.

Give it a whirl.