What's new

Phono/record player accessories and records? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
My dad is letting me borrow his old JVC record player. All I have right now to play on it is the 1812 overture. It sounds great. But I need a new needle/brush thing for it. I dont know what its called. But I was wondering where is a good place to look for accessories for it. I looked on parts express real quick but it looked like DJ equipment. Also where could I still find LP's or records for it? Can I get any newer stuff for it? Maybe some techno? Thanks for the help!

Jonty Rees

Stunt Coordinator
Just google on "phono cartridge" or something and you'll find companies that specialize in turntables/vinyl. I did that a while back with a view to resurrecting my old turntable, but didn't follow up - there are loads of them out there, though.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
I dont really know what to look for. I have an old 20+ year old JVC turntable. It works good. But I think I need a new needle. Is there anything else I should get? What should I spend on it? Im thinking maybe up to about $200 to redo whatever I have to.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Should I look into a whole new turntable completley? I could always give my dad back his.

Would a denon DP-29F be any good? I can get one brand new at work for cheap. I am willing to keep the JVC if it is workable, like if I can upgrade it. Its a Quartz Lock QLA5. Is that any good? Lol. I sound ignorant. Or should I look into a Music Hall MMF 2.1? or a stanton?

KrisM

Second Unit
I would stay away from DJ stuff myself. I'm not familiar with the tables you are talking about, so I can't help you there. Also stay away from the newer, plastic tables that sell in the $100 range.
If you are into classical, thrift shops and yard sales can be a gold mine for cheap lps. And alot of classical fans took care of their records.
My classical collection(including about 50 opera lps) is at about 600 albums right now. I got about 100 for free, bought a collection of about 400 for $125CDN, and got the rest from thrift stores and yard sales. I figure my classical collection cost me about $200CDN.

Regards
KrisM

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Jessee, I am not an expert on turntables, but you could definitely say that there are two different worlds out there, and they are totally separate (and one tends to look down a lot on the other).

The hifi turntable world is probably where you want to be looking, and things like project, music hall, etc. A good belt-drive table, and a nice cartridge, if you mainly want to do some high-quality LP listening. This audiophile world is still very alive. And they tend to look down on the crudeness of the DJ world, which comes next

DJs have a totally different set of needs. They aren't handling their records carefully with gloves, they aren't listening on a reference audiophile stereo system, etc etc. They are using a turntable(s) as an instrument, and the needs are different. here, high-torque direct-drive is all but necessary, you need arms and needles that can primarily track well, especially with bass-heavy techno and *especially* if you are scratching. The sound quality, while definitely important, is not the primary and fundamental goal as it is with an audiophile listener. It's much more creating new music with your turntables. So while DJ equipment is often derided (and often DJs too) by the audiophile community as being inferior in quality, it isn't, it's just designed for a completely different set of needs. Take a reference, several thousand dollar audiophile turntable, give it to a DJ, and he'd break it almost immediately, if he could use it at all. Just totally different priorities is all.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The Music Hall 2.1 is a good entry level audiophile turntable at a good price. The 5 is even better, but more expensive. If you want to get a good turntable to get you into vinyl at a budget price, the Music hall 2.1 would be a good fit. If bugdet isn't a concern, the MMF 5,7, and 9 are better models.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
"It Sounds Great" If your happy with the sound from the turntable the way it is I would'nt spend any money on it except for a new needle. You can always upgrade later to a new turntable & etc if you decide to stay with records. I have no clue what Radio Shack charges for needles & etc but they can get them & at least they can tell you what needle & cartridge you need & etc. I've gotten most of my records at tag sales "Very Cheap" that's the best place to find them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks