Phono pre-amp?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by DennisF, Nov 14, 2003.

1. DennisF

DennisF Extra

With the new Outlaw 950 I no longer have a compensated phono input. I need an external phono pre-amp. Quality, but I'd rather that it not cost more than my phono. (B&O TX-2 (radial) witn MMC-1 cartridge)

Recommendations?

Anyone use a Rane?

2. Steven_N

Steven_N Extra

NAD makes a very good phono pre-amp (PP-1 & PP-2). I've been using the PP-1 for a couple years and I like it. You can find them in the $60-80 range. The PP-2 will run about $120.00.

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. JohnAJR

JohnAJR Auditioning

I don't know if they still make it, but Musical Fidelity's X-Can V2 is worth looking into. Retailed at approx. $300 (Canadian).

5. gregD

gregD Second Unit

I've got this: Parasound PPH-100... outperforms its $120 price point... only complaint is that output level is significantly lower than my other sources... but it's quiet, clean, tonally pleasing.

Others from $2-300... Rotel, Creek, Musical Fidelity (tho I seem to remember their product as being named "XL-P").

The next step up would be the Lehman Black Cube at $700.

You might check Audiogon for used phono-pre's.

6. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Radio Shack for a no frills version.

7. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

I also have the Parasound.Even though I don't listen to much vinyl a agree with gregD and would recommend.

8. Claude M

Claude M Stunt Coordinator

if you still have your old receiver you can use that for now. just take the output from the receiver and plug it into your 950

9. DennisF

DennisF Extra

Yeah, thanks. I've actually got two stereo preamps I can use for the time being, but they clutter up the rack and I've been intending to peddle them to help pay for the TV. [g]

John, I had a chance at a Musical Fidelity not long ago, but I passed on it because the reviews on audioreviews were not good. They didn't like the sound.

I will look into the Parasound and NAD. Thanks.

Anyone heard of Rane? They sell one at about $160 that seems aimed at the professional market.