Phono Inputs

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Roy Wallace, Dec 13, 2003.

1. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

Hey gang: I have been looking at Onkyo receivers at the local dealer and have decided that the 601 model easily suits my needs. However, for the three or four times a year that I get nostalgic, I would love to have a phono input, which this unit lacks.
    Now I could jump up to the 701, but I don't really want to pay nearly double just to play vinyl once in a while.
    My questions are: I have read somewhere that you can get an input adapter so you can use a regular input for the phono. Can someone give me a bit of information on these?
    Now about the 701: I have not had a chance to demo it yet, but do you 701 owners feel that taking it over the 601 would be worth the extra cost?
    I do not see wanting to upgrade from even a 601 for a long time, but if the 701 were significantly superior, I could probably justify the added cost.
    One last thing: I read a review of the 601 and it said that it was a warm receiver. Am I right in thinking that it being warm would compliment the brighter Klipsch speakers? I heard the Synergy series paired with a Denon (Can't remember which one) receiver and thought they sounded fine, but it was a really quick listen and I am really just beginning to learn what sounds good to me, which seems to be nearly every setup I listen to[​IMG]

Thanks for the help,
    Roy

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

3. Steven_N

Steven_N Extra

I use a NAD PP-1. It connects between my turntable and the LD input of my receiver. You can get one now in the $60-75 range on Ebay or if you look around. NAD also has a newer version (NAD PP-2). I really can't comment if it's better than the PP-1. I've been very happy with my setup and you won't go wrong with this unit.

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

An excellent choice by Paul.

5. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

Thank you for the advice, guys. I knew I could count on you[​IMG]

Roy