What's new

PHONO input on Receiver, what if you don't have one? (1 Viewer)

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
I read of something like a:
Recoton stereo phono pre-amplifier
Would I be better off getting this (I don't know the price) rather than trying to upgrade my HK AVR120 receiver to a Denon AVR1803? The main reason I'm doing it is for being able to play records through the phono input (obviously my HK doesn't have one), and component switching (not a huge deal), and external audio inputs (good for dvd audio but not really needed I guess).
Is there another cheaper method rather than upgrading? I'll have to spend about $300 (after selling the HK) to get the Denon. Is there a cheaper option that will sound just as good for my record player (dad's anyways, sounds pretty good when hooked up).
Thanks,
ELmO:emoji_thumbsup:

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
For $300, you can get a whole range of phono stages that would be much better than the internal phono stage of the Denon receiver. Go to www.audiogon.com and search for the phono stages (preamplifiers) there and you'll see what I'm talking about. I don't know anything about the Recoton unit. Look for the NAD PP-1 (can be had for $140 new), Rotel (forget the model number), and many other used units.

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Thanks.
I looked up NAD PP-1 and it's about $85 only (on ebay). Rotel 970 is $200 new, on ebay it's $100.
I'm glad I don't have to go to Denon...though the new receiver would have had analog audio external inputs (for DVD audio) and component switching (needed for gamecube/xbox, cuz now I gotta switch by hand on the HDTV but that's fine!).
Thanks again, if anyone else has a phono pre amp that would help.
Anyways, with these pre amps, I'd just hook up my record player to the pre amp, then the pre amp to any stereo input on my receiver?
-ELmO:D

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
I bought a used Rotel 970 BX phono preamp a while ago and it's been working fine for me.

Your right with your connections record player to phono preamp to stereo input on your receiver.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Going with a phono stage now will also mean you will have one when you move to another receiver or pre/pro in the future. ;)

Seth_L

Screenwriter
Take this lack of a phono input as a sign that you shouldn't be listening to vinyl. Someone is looking out for you.

Seth

elMalloc

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reuben
Har, my dad has about 350 records that he wants to listen to still. I know on his old amplifier they sound very good on the infinity studio monitors.
I will pick up a rotel pre amp, and possibly a cassette player, even though they sound like utter crap. Maybe I should get the cassette converted to CD - problem with that is trying to get it to sound as good as possible without disturbing the actual musicality.
-ELmO:emoji_thumbsup:

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
Take this lack of a phono input as a sign that you shouldn't be listening to vinyl. Someone is looking out for you.
Just curious - is your opinion based on having heard a properly setup modern vinyl playback system, or the stuff our parents used to listen to?
Edit: And by "properly setup modern system" I don't mean a fancy "audiophile" mega-buck system, just something more modern than the Pioneers and Sonys and Kenwoods that most people seemed to own in the 70s.

Saurav

Senior HTF Member
What ticks and pops? :)
Ah, never mind... been down this road before with you, Chu :) I was just curious about where Seth was coming from, that's all. By now, you and I know each other's position on this pretty well, I think :)

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
The NAD PP1 is a stellar little phono stage. It can compete easily with stages costing up to 2x as much. If you're looking to go the affordable route, choose the PP1 and if you must spend the money, use what you have left over to upgrade your cartridge.

/Jeff

Seth_L

Screenwriter
I've heard an early 80's rather expensive Sony that was all servo controlled and had remote capability, but I've not heard what you probably consider a modern playback system. However, I'm not too sure what's changed about draging a needle in a groove in the past 20 years. Probably just the pre-amps. They're probably just designed to try and get a flatter sound out of vinyl now.

Seth

Jeff D.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
However, I'm not too sure what's changed about draging a needle in a groove in the past 20 years. Probably just the pre-amps. They're probably just designed to try and get a flatter sound out of vinyl now.
A lot has changed, a lot has been learned. There is still active interest in vinyl. Companies like Rega, ClearAudio, JA Michell, Music Hall continue to refine and upgrade their products. Cartridges continue to be redesigned and improved - some available at ridiculous costs. A lot has been learned about maintenance too and there are oodles of products for keeping your record collection clean. Then there are the tweaks, which seem to grow by the number ever day. You'd be amazed how much you can tweak out Rega's venerable little P2.

Modern playback systems today eschew any sort of automation, servo controlled devices etc. Simplicity is the key in LP playback. Budget models from Rega, NAD, Music Hall or ClearAudio are excellent examples of what can be achieved with vinyl these days.

/Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks