Phoning western Europe

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Angelo.M, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Those of you that call Europe frequently, please recommend a reasonably economic way to do so. I need to place several calls to Italy this week, and I'm open to suggestions. Currently just dialing directly using AT&T.

2. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I had a plan with AT&T for 14 cents a minute, to France. I dropped it when I moved, as I don't have a home phone anymore. I now buy cards and call my my cell phone. Sorry, I don't remember the card off hand.

--
    Holadem

3. Scott Barnhart

Scott Barnhart Stunt Coordinator

Angelo,

Definitely use a dial-around plan such as 10-10-xxx. Go to this website - http://10-10phonerates.com/ and find the plan that makes the most sense for Italy. Make sure to compare the minimum minute fees (if any), and also USF fees (if any), not just the per-minute charge.

As much as my wife calls her mom in Germany, if we didn't use a plan like this, I would be in the poorhouse instead of on this forum! [​IMG]

4. andrew markworthy

I've personally never found phoning someone in a European country all that difficult.

5. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Hmmm...now why could that be??[​IMG]

6. Devin U

Devin U Second Unit

Ive been seeing adds around here for a 10-10-987 (i think) thats .39 to connect and .03 a minute to Western Eroupe. Never used it myself (I IM or SMS all my friends over there), so dont quote me on the rate stuff. maybe try that 10-10 number finder mentioned a couple of posts above.

7. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    When I'm in the US, I always use a Premiere Worldlink card I have since 1998. Last time was November 2002, but I seem unable to find their website now.
    I tried the US tollfree number a few minutes ago, to check if they're still there, and I got the normal reply.

Well here's there toll-free number (once you own a card): 1-800-864-8000 and here are two other numbers they (used to) own: 1-800-432-6169 (Customer Service), 1-800-326-0537 (Enlist), so you could give it a check.

They have a low fixed price per minute and I have been able to use that number in hotels without having to pay anything (0800 number) to the hotel. In Europe most hotels charge your telephone bill even when you dial a (local) 0800 number.
    Also, I don't know the exact rates of Premier Worldlink now, but a few years ago they were one of the lowest for sure.

Cees