Phoning Home: Now This Is Ridiculous

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Peter Kline, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

TROY, Mich.
    Man hit with sky-high cell phone bill

— It's a phone bill worthy of E.T.

A 53-year-old Troy man told police he received a cell phone bill with nearly $39,000 in past due charges from AT&T Wireless on Oct. 18.

"He reported that someone had used his name and social security number to open a cell phone account," Troy police Lt. Steve Zavislak told the Daily Oakland Press. According to Zavislak, the man did not have an account with the company.

The charges were accrued over a one-week period and three cell phones were placed on the account on Aug. 15, he said.

"Due to the high volume of calls, the account was subsequently canceled" in just six days, Zavislak said.

Many of the calls were to numbers in countries such as Kenya, Nigeria and Germany.

"To ring up a phone bill that high was quite a feat," Zavislak said. "Identity theft is probably the fastest growing crime that we're dealing with."

Zavislak said the man, who was not identified, was told by AT&T's fraud department that he would not be responsible for the bill.

An investigation is under way and police are looking into the possibility the rampant phone activity is linked to some other criminal enterprise.

(AP)

2. JustinCleveland

JustinCleveland Cinematographer

Justin Cleveland
    Wow.

3. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    Wow! with calls to places like those it almost makes me wonder if terrorisim is involved. Anyways, $39,000 is a lot of dough for a cell phone bill. Any chance this may end up in the Guiness Book of World Records?

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

My parents used to leave their internet on all the time (like 24-hours a day) because they had unlimited service. Well, one month, something went goofy with their ISP's billing plan and they began to be charged by the hour...
    ... this led to a bill of around $2,000 for internet access in one month. [​IMG] Luckily, it was the ISP's fault, so they were not responsible for the bill (heck, I think that they even gave them a few months of free access, LOL).

5. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

I'm surprised that AT&T waived the fees. A big problem with lost cell phones is that the providers claim the actual customer is responsible for calls placed prior to them being notified of the theft. They claim the PIN on cell phones, and prompt reporting, could prevent such large bills.

6. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

7. BrettB

BrettB Producer

8. Don Black

Don Black Screenwriter

David: I agree. I didn't catch the identity theft angle. Serves me right for not reading the article!

9. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

10. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Back when I was using a 56K, our service one day just stopped working. Apparently, they caught us "port-scanning", so cancelled our service, yet still charged us, without even notifying us of what happened. Someone else must've got our IP or something...

When we asked them what portscanning was, they didn't even know.

11. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor