Phone over cable modem-VoIP: AT&T CallVantage

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by DaveBB, Dec 16, 2004.

1. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I know from doing a search there's a few threads concerning phone service using VoIP with Vonage and it seems pretty positive.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...highlight=voip

However I see that AT&T is making a push with their CallVantage service. I'm looking at the $19.99/month service it seems to fit my needs and what I'm willing to pay for how little I use my land line phone.

Does anyone here have CallVantage or know anyone with the service? Any feedback for going VoIP?

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    I am using Comcast's voice service (over cable) but it is not a VoIP system. The quality is excellent and the price is cheaper than the local phone companies. If AT&T is offering the same digital phone service I'd say it's a decent deal.

3. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I'm thinking about getting this or the similar service offered by TWCNYC. Does anyone know if either would slow down my cable modem service?

4. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

I just signed on with Sunrocket and will be paying $17 a month. We signed on right around the time they put out this $199 per year deal. We got an expandable cordless phone system the voip adapter free. It's great so far and we're thinking of getting it for my parents as a joint x-mas gift with some other family members.

5. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

just an update. We gave the sunrocket service to my parents for a christmas present. They really didn't get it at first I don't think, but once we had it all hooked up by the end of the holiday, they were coming around. They seemed to like it.

6. Nick

Nick Second Unit

Does it work with our own existing phones or we have to get a special phone for that. I heard that it's not good if you have to call 911 because they can't track where you are since we get to pick our phone number from anywhere we want.

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Vonage has a registration system where you register your address with Vonage and when you dial 911 it transfers you to the local call center with you address made available to them. I assume CallVantage has a similar feature. Problem is, if you move to a different house you have to remember to call them and change it.

Quick question: why would these services not be available in some areas? I thought one of the main points of this stuff was that it doesn't matter where you are as long as you have high-speed internet. Well, CallVantage nor Vonage are available in Blacksburg, VA (area code 540). If any of you guys find otherwise, please let me know. But why would it not be available here?

8. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

I'm not exactly sure about this either. The area code thing shouldn't matter because most voip customers can choose their area code anyway. I know SunRocket just went national around the holidays so you might see if they're availble there. Who knows...

9. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

No dice with SunRocket either. I can't figure out why it wouldn't be offered in a certain location. Oh well.

10. SarahG

SarahG Second Unit

Oh well. well maybe you check back again soon. A friend of mine said the service wasn't available in his area either, but somewhere on the web site told him when it might be. Or maybe he contacted them via email or something and they got back to him. Regardless, I would check back or find out.