Phone Booth DVD screwup (minor spoilers)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Pelham, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

I managed to get a copy of Fox's new Phone Booth DVD and noticed a faily major audio problem with the disc.

Most of the time (especially the first 15 minutes) a call is made, the recepient is shown in a smaller frame inside the first, sort of like a "picture-in-picture" deal. The problem is that during the conversation, the person inside the smaller frame has absolutely no volume. You can't hear at all what they are saying. Now I didn't see this in theaters, but I can't imagine this is intentional.

Out of curiosity I turned on the English subs and there is definitely supposed to be dialog happening, but it's completely silent except for the person on the other end of the line (usually Colin).

Can anyone else confirm this?

2. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
  3. ChadMcCallum

ChadMcCallum Second Unit

The audio comes out of the speaker on the side of the screen that the callers box is on. I'm not sure if it uses the surrounds though as I don't have a surround sound system. Were you watching it on a mono tv?

4. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

Yes.

It's interesting as I've watched 200+ discs without incident until this one.

5. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

I have a similar problem with ONE FINE DAY. When either of them are talking on the cell phone, the volume of the person on the cell phone is very low, compared to the rest of the audio. I do not have a digital sound system, but do have it hooked up analog stereo. As far as I can tell everything is hooked up properly.

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Switch to the 2.0 track, see if that helps

7. WillG

WillG Producer

While I could hear the split screen conversations, they did sound rather muted coming out of one of the satellites. Granted, I don't have the most Kick ass Home Theater System on the market. It sounds like those sides of the conversations could have been mixed higher, I don't remember how it sounded exactly in the theater though

8. DAN NEIR

DAN NEIR Guest

I've had this one for awhile now and there's no audio screw up on mine. The people speak to the left or right, depending on where they are on the screen.

9. WillG

WillG Producer

So you can hear the split screens in a just as equal volume through the left or right satellite as the main center screen action?

10. John KB

John KB Second Unit

Matt, I watched my disc at a friends house and encountered the exact same problem.
    I then brought it home and tried it on my DVD player, which is a Panasonic RP82 hooked up to a Denon 2803 receiver, and the problem was not there.
    So there must be something up with the disc. There is no english 2.0, by the way.

11. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Watched it on a simple stereo system without any problems.

Chris

12. Luis A

Luis A Second Unit

The first "pop up box" on the upper right of the screen at 4:03, the second at 4:40 on the lower left and the upper right at 4:57, and again at 5:45 on the upper right. So far sound can be heard from the speaker on the same side that the "pop up box" is on in 5.1 DD (same with the 5.1 French track) and in stereo. The only other track on there is 2 ch Spanish, and commentary, and everything comes out of the center of course [​IMG].

So the answer to your question WillG would be yes if you are listening in either 5.1 DD, 5.1 French, or in 2ch stereo on a system that at least is capable of producing DD 5.1 or stereo sound.[​IMG]

13. WillG

WillG Producer

Well, I'm not saying I couldn't hear it at all, the dialoge from the P.I.P. just sounded a bit muted as compared to the main action

14. MarcinL

MarcinL Stunt Coordinator

No problem here

15. Chris Hicks

Chris Hicks Stunt Coordinator

mine sounded muted as well. I went into my recievers setup and kicked up the front channel settings and the audio improved but I never use the eq when I watch movies so this was a first for me.