What's new

Phoenix Gold Octane R12d, Opinions? (1 Viewer)

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Ok i just bought one of these speakers, And i really like it, I've yet to get a box for it and that will be next week. But ive heard it and i know it sounds good. The only thing i cant find out is the frequency Response of it.
does anyone know what its freq. response is? or a way that i can find out (Using test tones or something?)

Anyone else use one of these? What are other opinions of this speaker? (Used for sub woofer)

Here are the T/S Params for it.
Fs . .23.640 Hz
Re . .7.24 Ohms
Qms . .8.190
Qes . .0.499
Qts . .0.470
Vas . .117.7807 liters
Mms . .135.9013 grams
Cms . .318 uM/Newton
BL . .8.6628 Tesla-M
SPL . .91.74 dB
Sd . .511 sq cm
Xmax. .25mm Point to Point

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,

What do you want to know that we haven't already told you in the DIY forum? It's frequency response, I'm assuming you're more concerned about it's low frequency response, is completely dependent on the enclosure it's put in. In general though, the lower end is usually somewhat limited by the driver's Fs, which is 23.64Hz. In a ported enclosure it's not advisable to tune much below Fs as the driver becomes unloaded and will bottom easily.

So you've already got the driver, you apparently already know what box you're going to use it in. What else is there to ask?

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, your right, i guess this is a pointless post.
I didnt realize it at the time.

Namely i suppose what im trying to figure out is the response of the speaker.

My stereo has an output (for its sub channel) of 30Hz - 2kHz
I wanted to find out if the speaker can handle this range of frequencies. Im pretty sure it can handle the 30Hz part of it, but i dont know what its upper limit is. Basically i wanted to use a speaker that can recieve the entire range that is being fed to it.
It seems that the freq. response info of the speaker itself isn't published anywhere or known by anyone.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't worry about the upper limit of it. I wouldn't even attempt to use it above 80-100Hz.

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
why so?

The amp that i will buy to drive it has a crossover bypass switch installed so that i can choose to bypass the XOver and allow all frequencies to sent to the sub (up to 2kHz anyway) or i can use the XOver and set it to max and have anything above 200Hz "Crossedover"
it is adjustable from 40Hz - 200Hz.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
The XO bypass switch is only useful when you have a receiver or pre/pro that has a XO built in for the sub. It's best if it's a 4th order (24dB/octave) at 80Hz or lower. If your receiver doesn't have a XO for the sub then set the sub amp's XO somewhere around 80-100Hz. You don't want it higher than that or it will be easily localizable and you'll also hear people's voices coming from the sub.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Not to mention that the sub will be horrible at reproducing those higher frequencies.

Basically i wanted to use a speaker that can recieve the entire range that is being fed to it.
Then you have the wrong driver for that application.

The reason you have drivers of different sizes is because each is optimized to cover a particular frequency range. A tweeter handles the highest info, a midrange handles the middle (the most sensitive area of human hearing) and the sub drives the low end (80-100hz or below).

You will not be able to hook 1 driver up to an amp and expect full range playback.

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator

My reciever unit, as far as i know, does not have an adjustable crossover, or any crossover built in aside from sending different frequency ranges to different channels.

These are the frequencies of my Reciever

Code:

[u]Speaker Frequency Response Max. Input[/u]
 Front 50 Hz – 20 kHz 115W
 Center 70 Hz – 20 kHz 52W
 Rear 150 Hz – 20 kHz 52W
 Sub 30 Hz – 2 kHz 115W

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Anthony,

Like you have been told numerous times.. No large driver
will play up to 2Khz well (not any driver with any amount
of excursion anyway) Sure there are some old school paper
cone, accordian surrpound drivers (Electro Voice, Advent
etc) that can play that high but they also will barely
nail 30Hz there just is no way to do both effectively..

Why do you feel you "need" it to play up to 2Khz anyway?
Your mains should play down to 80Hz and the sub should
play up to 80Hz it's really that easy and simple, that is
the proven crossover method for integrating Sub and Mains
and it's a little flexible for example I cross over at 100
Hz instead of 80.. But you don't want to go any higher than
say 120Hz (most subs don't even do 100Hz well anyway).

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Bret, sorry i didnt make that clear, but what i said above about wanting to match the freq. response range, isn't the way i feel about it now. Your right, i can use the mains to get the full range, and i will use them for that. but above i was trying to clear up what i meant, though i left out that im not trying to match the range anymore.

sorry bout that, my bad.
But i am left wondering why my reciever's sub channel wouldnt go all the way down to 20Hz.

I was messin with some test tones and it seems my speaker starts at around 15Hz. but does it affect sound any being that my reciever "starts" at 30Hz? (if that makes any sense)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Anthony,

I'm assuming that the reason is that it's probably (I don't know this for sure) a very inexpensive receiver. Either that, or it's got a few years under it's belt. Either way, that is merely what the receiver is rated at. It may actually extend a little lower. You'll only know for sure when you try it out.

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Its not that inexpensive.... ive seen it priced anywhere from $699 CAD, $269 USD, its $399 at future shop here... so im not really sure where it stands.
But i also got to thinking that if my speakers starts at about 15-20Hz, then my reciever must extend at least that low cause i tested it on this reciever.

Anthony_I

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah well $269 USD is alot in Canadian Money. But i got this unit for free so it isnt really any loss to me, plus it is better than what i had before......nothing. :)

like i said its an all in one unit. DVD/CD/Tuner/Amp

Pioneer XV-HTD520.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
like i said its an all in one unit. DVD/CD/Tuner/Amp

Pioneer XV-HTD520.
Ahh! Now we're getting somewhere! This receiver is meant for the Pioneer speaker system that comes with the package (receiver+speakers). These units have bass modules (vs. subwoofers) that play over an increased range (since the bass module driver is small it can hit higher frequencies). Receivers that are not in a package system assume that the mains can play down to at least 80Hz.

If you are still using the speakers that came with the receiver, I would suggest adding the subwoofer and continue to use the bass module (which will fill in the gaps between the small bookshelves and your sub). If you are using all new speakers, set the crossover as specified by Brian in Post #6 of this thread.

I would also suggest driving your sub with an external amp (vs. the one in the receiver). Although the one in the receiver will work it will not give you anywhere near the optimal performance from the driver you have selected. Doing this will also free up some power for the mains (a good thing!).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks