What's new

Philly Comcast HD and the DCT5100 (1 Viewer)

Tim K

Second Unit
I received a letter from Comcast dated 11/4/2002 which stated that Comcast is swapping out the DCT2000 and HDD200 units for a combination DCT5100 unit which is "now available". They also claim to be waiving the $10.95 rental fee for the HD unit. This was all great news to me. They even offered to swap them for free if you brought the boxes in yourself (or $29.95 for a service visit). I immediately called Comcast to, as they put it in the letter, "take advantage of this new equipment available from Comcast".

As you might have guessed, I was told that this equipment is not actually available, but is "in testing" and should be available in "early January".

I'll keep calling Comcast today, because as many of you know....most of the people at Comcast are in the dark. I'll just keep trying until I find someone who knows more about it.

Ken Cerce

Agent
Tim, I live in South Jersey and am wondering which channels of HDTV do you get on Comcast HD and how do you like the picture and sound quality of each channel? I plan to buy an HD ready TV this year and I wonder what I will get a chance to see. :eek:

Tim K

Second Unit
I get ABC, NBC, PBS and HBO and Showtime if you subscribe to those packages. I am getting very frustrated waiting for them to offer CBS. They have been saying its coming since June.
HBO broadcasts several movies a day in HD. Picture quality is equivalent to DVD as they are typically upconverted. Regardless of a film's OAR, HBO broadcasts everything in 1.78:1 aspect ratio to fill a 16:9 screen. Sound quality varies. Some are broadcast in 5.1 others 2.0. I don't get Showtime so I can't speak to their broadcasts.
ABC has alot of programming these days, most of their primetime lineup in fact. Picture quality is pretty good at 720p though it seems a bit darker than the standard broadcast. NBC has less programming to offer but their picture quality seems pretty good. You won't be all that impressed with either NBC or ABC as they both upconvert their standard programs. Still, its better than the 4:3 analog broadcast. Once they start filming shows with HD cameras (like the Tonight Show) it will really be great.
PBS runs a Digital TV loop from 5pm-2am every day. Most of it is HD material from PBS stations across the country. Its not all that interesting and mostly its just nature scenes and music. Occaisionally there will be an actually program in HD. The positive of PBS though is that it is all 1080i material filmed in HD. Its nice material to demo your stuff to visitors.
Check out www.titantv.com for HD listings. You can click on "my guide" and it will show you your channels and what is on each day.

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Tim,

I just sent you an email regarding the comcast info. I forgot to mention. My buddy called comcast sportsnet and talked to a programmer. He said that they will begin airing HD flyers/sixers games around feb. 15, 2003. he said there could be more but there is only one truck and it is being shared between comcast philly & comcast baltimore. He said the truck is still currently being built in Chicago. He also said that the phillies will be in HD.

Tim K

Second Unit
Thanks. I'd love to get the sixers in HD. The Phillies on the other hand, Comcast should save their money...no one is watching them no matter how good the broadcast is.

Tim K

Second Unit
I spoke with someone in their exec services offices. I explained my issue with the letter about the HD decoder. He seemed to know about the box and seemed to think that they were available. He was going to check with a few people who know more about the HD service in my area and call me back in a day. I'll keep you updated.

Tim K

Second Unit
Update:

Comcast Exec. Services called me today. They said they sent the letter out 11/4 anticipating making the combination box (5100) available in the Philly area last week but they have delayed the distribution due to technical problems. They said they have a list of people interested in switching to the new box and would contact me when it was available. I asked if they needed anyone to help test the new boxes and they said no.

Christopher LM

Auditioning
Tim:

I traded in my digital box and HDTV box this past Saturday at Comcasts Ivyland location (Warrington/Doylestown area)and received the new DCT 5100. It is a very slick looking unit (silver and very slim).

I received the box free of charge since i went to the payment office in person. Once you have the DCT 5100, you no longer are required to pay the ridiculous $10.95 rental fee for the HDTV box (Sweet!).

The convenience factor of this new unit alone is awesome. Little things such as being able to watch all of the programming through the hi-def (component) input even if it is not a hi-def channel, and having the onscreen guide (it even tells you what audio format the show is being broadcast in such as DD2.0 or DD5.1) now available on the hi-def input as well (previosuly, this was not possible since the HDTV box went to the hi-def input and the digital box for the regualr channels went to a different input. If you watch the regular channels through the hi-def inpput, you can not stretch the picture on widescreen sets and are stuck with black bars instead of grey for 4:3 programming.

You also have a choice of connecting audio via a digital coaxial or a digital optical for DD5.1 sound. This is sweet since before, the digital box did not have a digital out, only the HDTV box did. now you only need one digital audio out and do not have to switch back and forth to be able to listen to the 5.1 sound

The DCT 5100 also has a more comprehensive user menu to tinker with the picture settings.

Overall, I am very pleased with the new DCT 5100. Maybe now, we'll get CBS-HD since comcast can no longer be accused of double dipping from the HDTV rental fee.

Chris

Christopher LM

Auditioning
also...the so called technical problems are with the onscreen guide. There are no problems with the units, picture or audio quality.

The technical problem excuse is only because they do not have enough units for all of the various Comcast locations.

Chris

Sujeet Patel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sujeet
Amazing.. I've been calling Comcast for nearly a month now, just to GET HD service, and I keep getting the run-around that only 1 person in the office handles it, and she's not in, she'll call you.. Frustrated to no end, guess I have to keep trying.

Larry Fletcher

Stunt Coordinator
Well I am getting the HDTV box this week also. The only problem is that I am getting the Scientific Atlanta box either the 3100 or the 3200. Comcast tells me that the Cherry Hill area uses the scientific Atlanta Box. Is the motorola better? I live in Mount Laurel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks