1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Philly Cheese steaks...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike__D, Jul 23, 2002.

1. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Just got done reading the Chinese food thread and talk about what was authentic and what not. It made me think about places I've been and seeing a Philly cheese steak on the menu. It had mushrooms and peppers? And sometimes other crap.
    Let me tell you one thing, what makes a cheese steak from Philly a REAL cheese steak is the bread they use. You can't find it anywhere else. Pat's, Geno's, Jim's, Tony Lukes.... oh man, I'm getting hungry now! Also, most people order them with just the cheese, and that's it. Pat's uses cheese wiz as their standard cheese, although sometimes I'll get it with provolone and fried onions. top it off with some heinze and a hot pepper or two on the SIDE... oh yeah!
    Finally, the ONLY way to eat a Philly cheese steak is outside, at 2-3am, in 30 degree weather on a Friday or Saturday night (snow on the ground is a plus). Nothing else compares! [​IMG]
    Agree, disagree?
    Mike D.

2. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

I cannot find a decent Philly Cheese steak here in Central FL. I've looked.
    I've recently been perfecting my own, and I am SO close. The only thing lacking is the bread. If I could just find the right loaf, I am THERE! Perfectly sauted onions, lean shredded beef, and yellow American melted throughout, magnificently blended. Mmmm...

Someone once told that in Philly, a REAL Cheese Steak has tomato sauce on it. Any truth to this? That would ruin it, for me.

Todd

4. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

Micah:
    Yes, it was very common in college to go there. And we'll least go twice during the winter after a bar run in Philly.

5. Andrew_Sch

Andrew_Sch Cinematographer

Micah, I eat at Looney's with my family all the time, and always get the cheese steak! I just get mine with cheese, but it's definitely the bread that makes the sub. I'll be there Friday night enjoying yet another cheesestick and maybe some mozzarella sticks![​IMG]

6. Joseph Hoetzl

7. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Todd, the tomato sauce is called a "pizza steak" same species, different kind [​IMG]

9. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

I must have skipped over that part or missed it... but yes, I agree. A cheese steak is served on a SOFT roll... hence my post about cheese steaks from other states that don't match up [​IMG]

10. Jeff Kleist

A real cheese steak can only reliably be found within a 40mi radius of Philly, even Baltimore is too far. NYC is hit or miss, depending on where the place buys their rolls, but Amoroso's is the far preferred ingredient.

11. Andrew_Sch

12. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

No hard Italian breads for me. If that's authentic (which it doesn't seem so), I don't want it.
    I like the soft breads- they don't kill the roof of your mouth. And I use leaner cuts, so massive grease isn't an issue.

13. Jeff Kleist

14. Andrew_Sch

15. andrew markworthy

Well, at least I now know what a cheese steak is (it's not a common thing in the UK - we prefer traditional English cooking like chicken tikka massala).
    Since I don't eat red meat (migraine-inducing), bread (refined carbohydrate) or American cheese (simple aesthetics) I think I might give this one a miss. [​IMG]

16. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

17. Mike__D

Mike__D Supporting Actor

18. Micah Cohen

Micah Cohen Screenwriter

Hmmm. Is the bread at LOONIE'S really all that "hard," now that I think about it? I mean, it's certainly BIG. It CONTAINS the sandwich, keeps any grease or stray flecks of meat safely within range of your mouth. And it can have some "crunch" (do they toast it? I don't think so), but I wouldn't say it's "crusty." It doesn't fall apart and get mushy like EVERY OTHER SUPPOSED CHEESESTEAK IN THE AREA (Note to self: Get to CAPTAIN HARVEY'S pronto!). It's STRONG bread, maybe not "HARD." In my mouth, it's one of the best cheesesteak-like things I've ever had.

This thread is depressing me. I just wanna eat all day.

Ah, crabs... (Haven't yet seen any sizeable crabs in Baltimore. We're killing off this species no doubt.) Try KELLEY'S in Fells Point or Mr. Bill's TERRACE INN in Essex, hon (both on Eastern Ave!). [Steam em live -- watch those pincers! -- in water and beer, each layer covered in OLD BAY spice, till they're red hot. Crackin' em is a whole other lesson!]

Hungry,

Micah

19. Jon_Are

Jon_Are Cinematographer

I've never had an authentic Philly, but....

Cheez Whiz?????????

I'll take a Detroit Coney any day.

Jon

20. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Hey Philadelphians, what do you think about John's in Cherry Hill?

I used to frequent a little shop on 16th or 15th and Sansom that was called "The Philadelpdia Cheesesteak Factory" or something like that when I lived on Rittenhouse Square. That place had good steaks.

A year or so I ran across a web page all about finding the best cheese steaks outside of Philly. Unfortunately I lost the URL and from searching on google I think it's gone. I agree with the people here and the web site that the bread is The Key to a good Philly style cheesesteak. A local shop, Hunter Mill Deli, has the most authentic cheesesteak I've had outside of Philly.

However, trying to find an authentic Philly Cheesesteak outside of the Philly area is kind of like trying to get authentic New York Style Pizza outside of New York. It can be done, and in very rare cases it is successful, but you really have to look far and wide.

So is lettuce and tomato allowed or just bread, onioin, steak, chese, and salt & pepper? (peppers optional)