Phillips TVs: Worth the cash or cheap crap?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nick Graham, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I've been seeing direct view HDTVs from Phillips pop up all over the place lately, at Sam's and now even Wal-Mart (not that I tend to do much electronics shopping at Wal-Mart). I've seen a 32" 4:3 HDTV from Phillips for as low as $799 locally, and a 16:9 30" HD set for around $975. Would these sets be a waste of money? If I want a cheap direct view HD set should I stick with Samsung?

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Philips enjoys a fine reputation, and for good reason. If the 32-inch model in question sports a feature set that works for you, go for it.

3. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Thanks Jack!

4. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Nick, I just wanted to let you know my folks owned a Phillips analog set for 15 years and used it regularly. Never had a problem other than the picture tube was gradually getting weak the last year, just not as bright as it used to be. Phillips does have a fine reputation and were very involved in the develpoment of the dvd technology.This brand will be around for awhile.

5. Sanjay Gupta

Sanjay Gupta Supporting Actor

Sanjay Gupta
    I just bought a 55" 16:9 widescreen HDTV (480P & 1080i) and honestly I am quite impressed by it, specially while watching DVDs with my Pioneer 47Ai player. I think Philips televisions deserve a lot more respect than they have gotten so far. And yeah their pricing is great too.

6. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

I own their 30PW9819...it's the Pixel Plus HDTV model and it rocks![​IMG] If it works for you, like the rest have said, go for it man! I always say, unless someone else pays my bills...I make the decisions (with wife's approval of course)! [​IMG]

E

7. NateMorse

NateMorse Auditioning

Ive got a 43" HDTV Rear Projection by philips and I have been pretty happy with it. Having some issues with the HD Input but philips was quick about setting up for someone come to the house to repair it.