1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Phillips TSU2000 Remote

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Custodio, Jan 2, 2002.

1. Ken Custodio

Ken Custodio Second Unit

I just ordered a Factory Refurbished TSU2000 from ecost.com for $169 US. The cheapest I found a new one selling for was $250. Just wanted to know if anyone has found a better deal and what is their opinion on the remote.

Ken

2. ShanonS

ShanonS Stunt Coordinator

It's a great remote. It will take some time to program. I think I've logged about 10-12 hours working on mine and I still have a few things to adjust. It's worth the time to just hit the screen a couple of times and have the TV come on, shitch to the right input, turn on the receiver and switch to the correct input and turn on whichever component you want to use. Besides that, getting rid of the other 7 remotes.

That's a pretty good price. I don't know about the reliability for the refurbs. I got mine slightly used on e-bay.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Ken thats a great price for that remote...the T1000 was/is selling for $130 refurb at jandR but I've not seen a lower price for the T2000. As far as peoples general thoughts on the pronto's you either love them or don't like the LCD touchscreen interface. I'm solidily in favor of the flexibility they offer and I can't see running my HT without mine[​IMG] ....plus I do programming for them so I hope they stick around for while LOL

4. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

That's a great price for a great unit--but I really like the "handiness" of the optional cradle so you should look into that as an accessory.
    If you're a "software" guy or if you consider yourself at all computer-savvy then you can have a lot of fun designing your own icons and layout.
    I got my Pronto with the idea that my wife and the babysitter would be able to play DVDs without my assistance [​IMG] Works pretty well [​IMG]
    --Steve

5. Scott Dautel

Scott Dautel Second Unit

Steve:

I received one of the TS1000 factory refirb units from J&R as a gift and so far, it's great. Works perfectly and it's indistinguishable from brand new except for the small "Renewed by Philips" sticker on the back. I think it was $139.- but evidently you couild tell them you received their flyer and get it for $119. (that was pre-Christmas).

If I understand correctly, the only difference btwn. the TS1000 & TS2000 is double memory. Doesn't matter for me since I'm only interested in controlling about 6 components.

I'm still getting used to it but I'm happy so far. Have installed ProntoEdit on my laptop, but can't yet upload/download .ccf files due to a security block. I do need the ProntoEdit to made some of the changes and load in discrete on/off codes for my components. Those discrete codes are the key to making your macros run the way you want them to and you need the Edit software to load them as far as I can tell.

Anyone want to chime in re entering discrete on/off codes without ProntoEdit?

Scott

6. Brett DiMichele

Brett DiMichele Producer

Scott,
    The only way you could enter a Discreet Code without Pronto
    Edit would be to "learn" a discreet code from the original
    remote. Other than that, you have to get the Discreet Code's
    Hex Code from a source like www.remotecentral.com in the
    Files section. And then cut and paste that Discreet Code's
    Hex Code into the Pronto Edit Software.

7. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Brett is correct re the requirement for PE to use discrete codes...at least without another remote to teach the pronto a discrete code. Pronto Edit was never meant to be released to the public and it shows...its not the most intuitive peice of software ever written but once you get the hang of it it does what you need.