Phillips Pronto Neo or MX-500(Sunfire Remote)???

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Jesse Sharrow, Dec 26, 2003.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I have a gift certificate from amazon.com for x-mas. I just finished hooking up my sound system yesterday and it sounds great but now I have 5 remotes!!! That aint gonna work. I tried programing the yamaha remote that came with my rxv-440. But it didnt work. I still want a universal.

Now I am trying to choose between the MX-500 and the Philips TSU500 Pronto NEO.

I cant decide. I want something simple and easy to use. But I like the idea of being able to change things on my computer. But the MX-500 is much more comfertable. Now it has to be wife friendly. Anyone Know and advantages and disadvantages with these?

Also should i be warry buying the phillips refurbished. Because they have a refurb for $90 instead of $160.

2. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Id go with the MX500. It really is a great remote. Ive had one for about 3 months now and its probably the best part of my HT. So easy to program and batteries last a long time.

3. JohnKings

JohnKings Stunt Coordinator

Hello:

Before buying either remote, I encourage you to look into the Harmony SST659. Its an amazing remote. It also has internet upgradbility which I know the MX500 does not.

JOhn

4. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Is the harmony really easy to use for my wife? It looks like it is. Is this the one I would get? This one?

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Jesse, that link is not the SST-659 -- I'm not sure which model it is. If you are looking for an excellent price on the remote, check here: Harmony SST-659

I paid $147 shipped for mine. The remote is probably the most wife-friendly one on the market, yet it is also quite flexible and powerful for the "power user" like myself. Even my senior citizen parents, who are pretty electronically challenged, had no trouble using the remote without any instructions while staying with us over the holiday.

6. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

Whats the difference between the 659 and the MX-500

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

The SST-659 is programmed via a PC and Internet connection, while the MX-500 is programmed only via entering IR codes directly to the remote. The 659 setup wizard asks you questions about how your system is configured -- which TV and receiver inputs are used by each component, whether you control the volume via the receiver or TV, etc. Based on the answers, the 659 will auto-configure "activities" based on the configuration of your setup.

There are "activity" buttons on the 659 for "watch TV", "watch a movie", "listen to music" and "other activities". By pressing a single activity button, the remote will issue all necessary commands to perform that activity (just like a macro). However, the 659 also "remembers" which components it has turned on/off. Therefore, if the TV is already on and your "watch movie" activity also requires it to be on, the 659 does not issue a power toggle command that would accidently turn the TV off (since it remembers that it previously turned the TV on).

It's a very well thought out concept. I replaced a 4-5 year old Marantz RC2000MKII with a SST-659, and have been very pleased. The Marantz is a lot like the MX-500.

8. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    I was thinking of getting the MX-500, but after taking a look at the SST-659 (thanks John and Scott), I may change my mind.

9. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Joe Kauffman
    OK, I gave in and got the SST-659. Thanks for the link Scott. I got it for $142 shipped (FedEx ground). I was patient enough to not pay the extra $8 to have it shipped 2-day.

I know it seems rather impulse buy-like, but I'd been putting off getting a programmable universal remote because of the dread of having to actually set it up. The SST-659 seems to be easier. It also got a great review on RemoteCentral.

I did find a place that had it for $130 shipped, but they weren't an authorized dealer, so I didn't want to go through any hassles in case of problems.

10. AlexanderS

AlexanderS Second Unit

I didn't even know this model existed. After reading the reviews its exactly what I was looking for. Thanks to John and Scott for the recommendation. Im going to return my MX-500 to Costco and go with this instead. RemoteCentral has posted their review of the 659 and its pretty good.

11. MikeSRC

MikeSRC Second Unit

I recommend you read Daniel's excellent review of the 659 on Remote Central before deciding. It details the plusses and minuses very well so you can determine if it's the remote for you.