Phillips BDP-9000 Blu-ray player coming

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I've never trusted Philips, and I never will.

I've never forgiven them for the death of my boy.

Sorry, bad experiences with my SACD/DVD player (and with trying to get it fixed, though the first problem I got corrected OK).

Thanks for the info, Dave. I notice they list Multi-channel HD audio decoding, but no additional info; doesn't mention anything but DD and DTS in the specs.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Wish we could get more in-depth specs.

Nice find BTW. Was awesome because my friend was just telling me not to trust Philips' release dates and babbling on about there not being enough diodes and all. He's even saying PS3 could be pushed back, but that's the first I've heard it. Supposedly, he's going by a release that refers to November as a "target" not a "release date."

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann
Phillips, the RCA of the BD format. Blahhh.
I want the Pioneer.....

Bob_L

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Lindstrom
I'm not particularly trusting of Philips, either; but this is still an interesting piece. Multichannel analog outs and Faroudja processing, apparently. Though I have an HD DVD player already, I'm not against the competition when they're able to hit reasonable hardware pricepoints and image quality.

At $900, I think this is still a bit high and almost certainly too high for the Walmart buyer.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Don't insult RCA that way!

All the RCA components I ever had actually worked!
My HDTV from them rules (though earlier builds did have glitches, they got it right by the time they made mine, only to end up discontinuing the whole line).

Seriously, Faroudja processing was the selling point on my Philips DVD player, and just about everything to do with that chip was screwed up in some way. I got the "ringing" fixed which put green lines in the screen and put a green cast/push to the entire picture.

Later, the component video kept quitting on me. I even took it to have it fixed under warranty and they couldn't find anything wrong, but cleaned it for me. Apparently, it was working at the time, and it did work for a little while, but then it went out again. May have been power supply related because it was real touchy with the power cable.

Eventually I used an iscan for deinterlacing, combining it with a cheap Wal-Mart Pioneer player. Had gotten one as a bedroom player and liked it so much I got another. I reserved the Philips for SACD and CD playing since it has upsampling, but I'm a bit afraid of it ever since it tried to eat my Billy Idol CD right after I bought it.

Yeah, I have my serious issues with Philips now. But still curious to know the exact specs of their unit, if only because it could encourage the competition to throw in all the bells and whistles.

And who knows, maybe they've learned some things since building the POS I bought! That was 300 or 400 dollars badly spent I'll tell you!

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Haha. I'd been looking toward the Pioneer player too; but as of now the Panasonic has it beaten feature-wise.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
At $899, that's the same price as the HD-DVD XA2 and this just goes to show that companines like Panasonic are out to rip you off with their extremely overpriced players with no justification for it.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

But if the Pioneer Elite deliveries what the Elite line normally does, the panny will be a far cry from the quality the Elite will deliver. I will pay and wait for the Elite.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
I don't know; as there is really just one line for all the manufacturers right now. First gen players tend to inherently be flaghsip models.

The Panny can already be had for $1,000 if you know where to look. And at $1500 the Pioneer retails is $200 more than the Panny. And it doesn't offer 7.1 analog outs, play CD's, and I don't think it will decode the more advanced audio codecs either. At least these are the things I've gathered. Even if the parts are even more top-notch than the Panny the pricetag seems too hefty for the things the player doesn't do. Of course, it's been delayed so the specs could change.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
If this were anyone but Philips I might agree with you. But it's Philips. It's the Wal-Mart/Target player. Everything of theirs looks good, and looks good on paper. But good luck once you get it home.

It's not that big a price break considering how much of their product tends to be questionable. A friend of mine was going to get a Philips TV, then he found out what a wide range of their products are problematic.

Higher prices can be justified by reliability. I'm not the only one with Philips horror stories. I'd rather spend the extra hundred or so for a more advanced player that I'm not going to be immediately returning or sending out for warranty or extended service work.

Panasonic had some great DVD players before they went el cheapo to compete with the cheap players in the big chain stores, so the quality is likely well worth the price over something like Philips. But they're all high-priced now. I'd expect them to drop, but if the HD-DVD player prices are escalating...could be a while.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I read the same about Toshiba before and after I bought my A1. Until I actually own the product for myself I don't pay any attention to reviews. There is good and bad about all products and on these forums people post mainly the negative.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I won't and just can't buy any player for $899. There are some really good titles on Blu-Ray that I want and some on the way too. But...until a truly affordable stand alone player arrives, it's all HD-DVD for me.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Not from me you didn't!

Toshiba's a well-respected name, and as it offered the ONLY players out of the gate, it can't be labeled as the discount-store brand. It's being sold at a great price, but not because it's a crappy player. Toshiba was instrumental in DVD and produced excellent players. The 2nd gen model I bought was ranked second only to the more expensive Sony flagship (which was their flagship for years). It's never had a problem to this day!

Most of Toshiba's products (think TV's) have been considered high quality for years.

While I agree you have to do your own testing and make the call for yourself, I think if you ask around you'll find a lot more people will tell you "Philips is crap" than "Toshiba is crap."

If anyone told you that about the Toshiba HD-A1, they were probably vehement Blu-Ray supporters/HD-DVD bashers. Though it's possible they just had some bad experiences with some Toshiba equipment. Nobody's perfect.

But all Toshiba products I've dealt with (be them mind or someone else's) have been great. All the Philips things I've dealt with (more than just that one player) have had problems.

Haha. I was just thinking; the biggest complaint about the Toshiba players used to be they all had the chroma bug issue. (Does anyone even still talk about that?) The Philips player with its Faroudja chip wouldn't have it. I'd have traded the chroma bug for all the problems I faced. All ended up being moot when I decided to invest in an iScan that filters the chroma bug.

It could be a chance for Philips to redeem themselves, but my Philips player seemed like a better buy than competitors at the time too, and it surely didn't turn out that way. There was obviously some cost-cutting somewhere because I was one of many to have the problems I experienced. Luckily, I made connections on the AVS forum and got the first major problem taken care of early on. But eventually I just gave up on it. BTW, perhaps it's improved, but their customer service at the time sucked. I think I was talking to people in Singapore and they were all over the place.

I didn't have the luxury of being able to buy my player in a store. No common merchant was carrying them, just higher-end stores.

At least buying at Wal-Mart, Target, etc. if you have a problem you can just take it back. That's a big plus. I had to ship mine to Philips since I really wanted the features of that player and all the current batch was like that, so shipping back to the vendor wouldn't have helped.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz

I hope you are right ppltd the Pioneer Elite is being held back and I was just told via email that they are making sure the player works good before they release it. I was also told that it will not be using HDMI 1.3 which is most likely nothing new here. The Panasonic seems to have better capability than the Pioneer so this should be interesting.

Pioneer Elite BDP-HD1 Bluray Player (Retail $1500)
  • 1080p Bluray Player
  • HDMI 1.2
  • Dolby Digital and DTS core only
  • Formats supported: Bluray and DVD
  • Video supported: WMV, WMVHD, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4-AVC, VCI
  • Formats supported:BD-ROM,BD-R,BD-RE.DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW,DVD+R, and DVD+RW media
  • Audio Formats Supported: LPCM, MP3, WMA
  • Will not play CD's/SACD's or DVD-Audio
  • 5.1 Analog output, Coaxial & Optical Digital Output and HDMI 1.2
  • Weight 19lbs.13 oz.
Panasonic DMP-BD10 Bluray Player (Retail $1300)
  • 1080p Bluray Player
  • HDMI 1.2
  • Dolby Digital and DTS core decoding, comes with future upgrade to include Dolby True HD and DTS-HD at a later date.
  • Formats supported: Bluray, DVD, CD and DVD-A
  • Video supported: WMV, WMVHD, MPEG1, MPEG2, MPEG4-AVC, VCI
  • Formats supported:BD-ROM,BD-R,BD-RE.DVD-Video, DVD-R, DVD-RW,DVD+R, DVD+RW media, DVD-A, CD-R and CD-RW
  • 7.1 Analog output, Coaxial & Optical Digital Output and HDMI 1.2
So I am not sure how much better the Pioneer Elite will be? Granted the Elite line the past few years has been very good and I have been impressed with there product. I have seen the specifications on the Panasonic and they look really good. I will be heading to my local retailer soon to see a Panasonic in the flesh soon. By the time I save up and have the cash for a blu-ray player both the Sony and Pioneer should be out. Here is one of the problems I have with the 5.1 analog outputs that come with the Samsung, Sony and Pioneer players. Dolby Digital Plus is capible of 7.1 and both Dolby True HD and DTS-HD can do 8 channels. The 5.1 output is not even going to be good for DTS-ES or DD-EX discs. And why the heck are the new HD movies being done in 5.1 and not 6.1 at least. I actually see no reason why the Bluray and HD-DVD player could not all come with 7.1 analog outs. We will all be ok as long as movies don't start coming out with 7.1 audio. And if they do the only player that I know of that will be able to output the 7.1 audio in ether Dolby or DTS lossless is the Panasonic as soon as the update is available. I guess I will figure out what to buy when I am ready to buy a player around March - April 2007. I may just end up with the Panasonic because it can be upgraded to DTS-HD and Dolby True HD. Choosing this player will allow me to avoid upgrading to another blu-ray player within 2 years.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

This does not surprise me at all. The Pioneer Elite line has normally had less 'features' than Pioneer lesser components. The Elite line never has been at the bleeding edge, or feature loaded. It has just delivered what it does better than most other generally available components. (Of course, I am not comparing Pioneer Elite against some of the very high end components). As a rule of thumb, the Elite line, when talking about features, is normally a generation behind Pioneers standard line.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Thats funny I have considered the Pioneer Elite line to be way better than the standard line. And I have allways felt that the Elite line had most of the features as well. I would purchase a Pioneer Elite reciever but I wouldn't touch the standard line if you paid me!

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

Don't get me wrong, as I have owned Elite components for as long as I can remember. But new features tend to start in Pioneers lower line of components before they make it into the Elite line. As far as quality, there is no comparison to Pioneers standard line. From the internals to the chasis, everything about the Elite is quality.

Just an example; The high end Elite Reciever (VSX-59TXi) will not have any HDMI support until the next model (sometime in January, I believe.), while the 400.00 Pioneer recievers already sport HDMI inputs and output.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beekeeper