Phillips 30PW850H

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Clark Bradley, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Clark Bradley

Clark Bradley Stunt Coordinator

I've found some 30PW850H for $600 but they are refurbished. I know this generally means a set that was sent back to the factory for a fix (misaligned button, new tube, etc), was fixed and is awaiting to swap back out to a customer for warranty work. My Ipaq was a refurb and it's been flawless, so I'm not to concerned about that.

Are there any better (price and quality) 30" 16:9 HDTV sets out there?

2. Clark Bradley

Clark Bradley Stunt Coordinator

Anyone?[​IMG]

3. Gary SI

Gary SI Stunt Coordinator

There area few !
    Panasonic > CT30WX54 ---$999.99
    Sony > KV30HS420----$999.99
    Sony > KD30XS955 --- $1399.99 (no release date yet)
    My pick my hard to say,
    Panasonic has it all , PIP> HDMI> but realy bad build quality , one would almost think that panny had this set made for them. Not like Panasonic to "slouch" on build quality.
    Sony "420" is a "bare-bones" tv nothing , no PIP no freeze , But it does have enough connections to go on an inerstellar voyage ! HDMI / 2 HD component / 3 S video (one front) >( without detection_)
    Sony XS will have all the same connections plus "memory stick" and built in HD tuner /w/ cable card , but NO optical out (unless they make a last minute design change). But no pip .
    The last XBR "Tube" is the KD34XBR960 >200Lb`s loaded , more "toys" to play with that you might not have time to actully watch TV LOL. $2199.99
    So you ask for an opinion ^^^^
    OK > I would pick the Sony 420 , only because it has all the connections for anything that can be tosed your way in the future. Be it DVI , HDMI HD Comp . it has it all .
    But lacks any bells & extras. Shame on you Sony ... LOL.
    [​IMG]

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Take a look at the $ 747.00 Sanyo 30" with a built-in HD Tuner, P-I-P & the new HDMI Input at Wal-Mart that's been getting some pretty good reviews. Check www.avsforum.com which has a thread about the set with over 1,000, yes 1,000 replies. You can get the Full Specs. on the 30" & 32" at www.sanyo.com Wal-Mart's return policy on the Sanyo's is if it breaks within one year just bring it back to them & they will give you a new set & they have a no question 30 day return policy & Wal-Mart.com is also now selling an extra full coverage warranty on tv sets for around $29.00 for 2 years & $49.00 for 3 years. Myself I'm going with the 32 Inch model around Xmas time & if I'm unhappy with it back it will go.

5. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

the philips has been a good set, and was designed to compete with the sanyo the panasonic is a great set. The warranty on the philips refurb is the same as their regualr warranty (90 days) the panasonic should have a year. I have a problem with buying a tv from wal mart, for one right now they may swp it out but will they next year when they see how much money it costs (I've had a few customers who have had that problem before)

6. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I own a 30PW850H. It's a decent set. There's some options that aren't there that I'd like to see. And some of the inputs have limitations on what you can do with them. Other than that, it's amazing. No DVI input, if that's important to you.

7. Marc S Kessler

Marc S Kessler Stunt Coordinator

Next month Costco will have a Phillips 30" set on sale for $599. I don't if it's the same model but it's new, not refurbished.

8. John S

John S Producer

I have owned a Philips factory refurb since Nov, 03, so far so good. Knock on simulated wood veneer. lol

9. StephenHa

StephenHa Second Unit

costco is not authorized to sell the regular line of philips tv's they get the low end ones like wal mart, but have gotten some from unscrupulous dealers before, and they have no warranty

10. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    What's your source of this info., Stephen? I've seen some distinctly not-low-end Philips 16:9 RPTV big screens at my local Costco.

And what better warranty could you ask for than the ability to take the merch back basically whenever?

30PW850H is still avail. for $699 at my local Costco.

-p