What's new

Phillips 30" WS HDTV for $899 at Costco (1 Viewer)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
has anyone seen the Advent 30" Widescreen HDTV at Kmart ?

@ $499 (on sale till sat or sun) it cannot be beat at that price. I know akai is actually a samsung so I would assume another well known co prob makes this set too.

anyway. I got it for my sister inlaw and to my suprise it did 1080i very nicely. 480p could be better but if your looking for an HDTV for the superbowl cheap, this set does 1080i very nicely.

has 2 compontnet and 1 DVI connection.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
So I couldn't help noticing the 599 price tag on the Philips at Costco. So Paul, how are things five months later? I just set up a secondary system in my media storage room and the 27" NTSC set is beggin' to be replaced :)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Had a picture defect on the 8402 also. Two points of light were emitting from the top of the frame at the center of the set. Very visible and distracting when the screen was dark while watching widescreen material.

Took it back recently after another I think 84xx series model appeared at Costco for $599, which I'll get soon. Wish Costco carried more than one 30" 16x9, or even a 34", but that's never their stocking policy.

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for link, Guo. And yeah I commented on Philips' odd model number naming conventions in my post #19.

Hard going back to a small 4:3, even for just a short while. All I see is scan lines . . .

-p

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Noticed this weekend that Costco is now stocking a 26" Philips for $499.

If they'd just stock a 34" (for $699?) and I could wrangle one that doesn't have a picture defect of some kind, I think I could 'settle down' a bit for 18 months or so until after HD DVD and Blu-ray hit the market and DLP projector prices come down even more.

-p

Iver

Second Unit
Best Buy currently has a 30-inch Magnavox HD monitor, no DVI or HDMI input (component is best), the MW5405, on sale for $600 (regularly $700). The set has an identical case to a similar Philips model.

It was difficult to compare PQ as all the sets at this store (Broadway just above Houston) are fed with RF coax input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks