Phillips 30" WS HDTV for $899 at Costco

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Sam Posten, Aug 15, 2003.

1. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Anyone else checked this out?

Even has a sticker next to it saying there is a coupon available to bring it down to $799... I didnt get the model number but it seemed like a good deal, especially as a set to play console games on without worrying about burn in... Also noted that it had 2 component HDTV inputs...

Said it supports 1080i and 480p.

I suspect it might have been this set here:
    http://www.consumer.philips.com/glob...uctId=30PW8520

Sam

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

So, are you considering purchasing it? No magazine reviews as yet, but Philips makes a fine TV.

3. David Preston

David Preston Supporting Actor

Do you know if you can get it in black? I might consider one for the bedroom.

4. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I was at Costco today and it was not the model that you found. It is 30PW850H:

http://www.consumer.philips.com/glob...Id=30PW850H_17

There is no retail price listed for that model so it is hard to say if the Costco deal is good or not but it seems like a good deal for a 30 inch widescreen set.

Glenn

5. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    Thanks Glenn. I think I've passed on this set for now, but a $799 tube HDTV bodes well for when I will be ready for my next set.

Good to see the prices coming down.

Sam

6. Glenn

Glenn Stunt Coordinator

Hi Sam,

I think it is a good price and Costco has it for the same $799 now without the coupon. If it came in black I might have bought one for my bedroom but......

Glenn

7. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul

8. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    My local Costco in West L.A. just this week either sold through existing stock and didn't replenish or removed this set from the shelves. Store rep said that the computer shows it as being an "inactive" item. Inglewood store had seven units as of yesterday though.

Now, the question is, is Philips replacing this year-old set in their line and, if so, with what? And will Costco carry the possible new model?

Well . . . I typed that and just decided to call to see what I could see . . .

Just got off the phone with Philips Customer Care about those questions. According to the rep I spoke with, there is a 30PW8502 (as opposed to xxxx8520) currently in production that is a 30" 16x9 similar to the 8502 but "with a slightly different menu system."

She also said that Costco is a "major retailer" that Philips has a relationship with and that it was reasonable to expect this set to be in Costco whenever it is released. She gave an availability estimate of "three to four months."

Hmmmmmm. Is there no end to the sweet torture that is home theater analysis paralysis? [​IMG]

-p

9. oryan_dunn

oryan_dunn Agent

I have the 30PW850H and have been very happy. The retail was originally a grand, but has come down in price since then. I agree about the black thing, but this silver set doens't show dust on the cabinet like my old set did, which is a good thing.

10. Steven Larson

Steven Larson Stunt Coordinator

Consumer Reports rated the Philips 30PW850H as the number one 30" hdtv. Best Buy had it on sale for $799 a few weeks ago, and I almost bought it then, but decided to go for the Sony 34" hdtv instead. I did a price match at Sears and got the tv for $1569.

Otherwise the Philips has a good picture, and at $799 it seems to be a great buy.

11. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Steven:

12. Steven Larson

Steven Larson Stunt Coordinator

Sorry! I should have been specific. I bought the
    KV-34HS510, as I felt the 30" tv was too small. It was on sale at Sears for $1899, but Onecall.com is located here in Spokane (Huppins is their brick store) and they were selling it for $1599.21. They weren't going to match at first since it was a "price match of a price match", but the store manager agreed to sell it to me with their additional 10% bonus on the difference.

I thought it was a pretty sweet deal....

13. Brian_H

Brian_H Stunt Coordinator

I just bought the 30PW850H today and so far so good. It's the bedroom tv so I haven't used it too much yet, just set it up with DVE and left it for later tonight. I'm looking for a way to disable svm, as it's not in the user menu. But so far the set looks pretty good.

14. oryan_dunn

oryan_dunn Agent

The only way to disable SVM on Philips sets is to physically cut wires inside the set. Bad news, I know, as I've been trying to figure out how to do it for about 6 months.

15. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    After being put in inactive status about a month ago, the set has reappeared at my local Costco . . . for $699.

-p

16. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Posted elsewhere, but hoping I catch another 30PW850H owner (or anyone who may recognize this issue) with some input:

I'm having a banding issue with my Philips 30PW850H: I'm seeing a ghost pattern of faint, vertical, gray-ish bars on the left side of the picture. There are about seven of them, equidistant, fixed, about 3/4" wide, evenly spaced from each other and they are less distinct at their edges but become a little more distinct in the center of each. They're most visible against a white/light colored background and can be seen when watching broadcast TV or watching DVDs. Has any one seen this, have comments/ideas speculation as to what might be causing this?

-p

17. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    I did an exchange and a second 30PW850H has the same issue I describe in my post above.

Lived with it for a while. But Costco now has the 30PW8402--a 30" 16:9 of similar vintage but which was a little higher in the product line--for $599. And this set has an HDMI input, which the PW850H does not.

Time for the ol' switch-a-roo.

-p

18. oryan_dunn

oryan_dunn Agent

Please report back what you find. I've always wondered if the newer model suffered from the same problem. You really can't see this problem in the store since the ambient lighting makes it impossible to see.

19. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Oryan et al.:

Swapped the 30PW850H for the 30PW8402 tonight, gaining an HDMI output (and $100 cash) in the process. Setting it up and doing preliminary calibration tonight and throughout the weekend. Will report back in again soon.

Philips' model number naming conventions for their widescreen CRT sets are confusing. Although it's a little more streamlined now than a little under a year ago when I was looking at their 30" and 34" models, it still strikes me as odd that the 84xx series is actually a (small) step up from the 85xx series.

-p

20. oryan_dunn

oryan_dunn Agent

This thread may interest you:
    http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=497891

I know you don't have the 850H anymore, but I am willing to bet that the chassis are very similar and have many of the same parts. The service menu portion will probably be similar as well.