What's new

Phillips 27RF50S - Any info or experience (1 Viewer)

Kerry B

Auditioning
I could use some help. My son is looking for a 27" TV (this is max size due to space limitations). He started out looking at a $300 - $400 price range. But after he saw the $500 Philips 27RF50S he fell in love with the flat screen and insists he has to have it (its his money).

Anyone have any information or experience with this TV or similiar Philips?

Thanks

Kerry -

Your son can get a Sony Wega with the squeeze trick for that same price. My GF originally gave me a Toshiba 27AF41, a highly-regarded Toshiba flat screen. When I let her know we could get the Sony for the same price, back it went.

My Sony's silver cabinet (27FS13) looks very similar to the 27RF50S' silver cabinet. The Sony has component and S-Video inputs as well (same as the Phillips). The BIG bonus is the squeeze trick (search the forum for "squeeze trick" more information on this).

Thus far, I have not experienced any geometry problems on the Wega. You can even find the TV at B&M retailers like Sears for as low as $500.

If there is any objection to the Sony, I urge you and your son to consider the Toshiba 27AF41.

Dave Reichert

Stunt Coordinator
I would recommend the Sony over the Philips as well. The full model number of the Sony is KV27FS13, and if you do go to Sears their stock number is 47661. Last I checked, it was $549 but it could've gone down more with end of the month markdowns.

Joel Ostrow

Agent
See my reviews elsewhere. I like the Philips too, and would be interested to hear how it works in practice.

I'm on the second WEGA now, and the horizontal geometry problems are enough to make you dizzy. A tech is coming to replace the yoke (he says, though, that ALL flat screens have problems with horizontal and vertical lines (what, the diagonals are straight???). I may give up altogether.

The problem is described all over these forums, so I won't repeat here. But there is no reason to believe Philips is immune.

Also, if you are into hockey, expect to see thick pink lines from top to bottom at each edge of the screen. And that, too, seems impossible to fix on the Sony. We'll see, the tech comes in 5 days again with a new yoke.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks