What's new

Philips widescreen 30PW633R (1 Viewer)

DarinGR

Auditioning
I got this TV (Philips widescreen 30PW633R) a few weeks ago so I wanted to post my opinion on it (in case anyone else was interested).

First, I watch 95% DVD's (mostly enhanced), so my opinion will reflect that.

This is a nice widescreen TV (for the price). It only cost me $590 (including tax) from Best Buy. With a little math I figured that the size of the picture would be about the same as a letterbox image (1.85:1) on a 42" standard TV (even though I can't recall seeing that size).

The picture quality for anamorphic DVD's is great considering that it is only 480i. Non enhanced DVD's suffer (of course) when compared, but using some of the different zoom modes can make things a little better if you don't mind distorting the picture a little. My first play was to bang out a couple episodes of Band of Brothers on the set. I was very pleased with the resulting picture. There was a slight annoyance that I noticed with titles; when the titles appeared they seemed to "fly in" slightly as if being zoomed on. This is probably due to the corners that had to be cut to get a widescreen TV this cheap, but it really is not something I would use to disqualify this set.

As for inputs/outputs, they are a little skimpy, but you get:

1-RF
1-AV with component/composite (shared) AV1
1-AV with S-Video/composite (shared) AV2
1-AV in front (actually located on the side)
1-headphone out (1/8" stereo mini plug)
1-AV out

Sound = Crappy!
Of course, most people don't use the sound from the TV, but I thought I should mention this point. I am currently in the middle of moving so my sound gear is not with me now, so I have to use the TV sound. There is some strange oscillating noise present at all times (very annoying at low volume and with headphones), though it is not noticeable at higher volumes most of the time. And the values of

Luis_Cortes

Auditioning
I have the phillips 46 rptv with the 32 multipoint convergence. does yours have the same? if so any tips to align? thanks

DarinGR

Auditioning
My TV has no convergence adjustments available in the menu. As for doing convergence on a TV it can be a little tricky to get the hang of. You don't want to see much blue or red around the edges of the white lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks