What's new

Philips VR960BPH S-VHS VCR vs. JVC 3800: Any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I'm going to get a S-VHS ET VCR strictly so I can finally make use of my 1050's S video switching. All I will be doing is watching local channels and at times recording the new fall TV shows.
I saw this Philips model going for $139 and thought it was a bargain. I'm also thinking of the JVC 3800 which I will price match at Sears (hopefully) for $131. I know the JVC is now the 3900, but I don't see any differences between it and the 3800.
So, question is, will the JVC have a better tuner vs. the Philips, or are they both gonna end up being about the same??
Thanks in advance
Alfer
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at The Enormodome
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Alf: I've never owned a Phillips machine, but I have owned many VCRs. The two JVCs that I have (3800 & 4800) contain the best VCR tuners I've ever used. I also have been pleased with the picture quality when taping. (I don't use ET mode.)
BTW, my setup is regular OTA. No cable or satellite...
------------------

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I would highly consider the Mitsubishi S-VCSs over both of your suggested brands. Mitsubishi makes very good S-VCRs and I currently own the HSU-795.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
I went with the budget Philips, so far it's looking good. Lot's of great features for less than $140.
I'd love to have a Mitsubishi, but if I'm not mistaken, they don't offer S-VHS ET.
Now I can finally put to use the S-Video switching of my Outlaw :)
Alfer
------------------
Check out my new Home Theater site and my NEW HT 6.1 Pic's at The Enormodome
Join my new Yahoo "Club Enormodome" for LIVE HT and DVD chats at: Link Removed

NickSP

Supporting Actor
I hope you have found a good VCR. As far as Mitsu not offering S-ET is not true. They do offer ET and it's awesome but for some reason, they just do not advertise this fact or label it on their VCRs. Good luck.

Vin

Supporting Actor
Alf,
I've been considering that Philips myself for $140.....actually CC had it on sale for $130 a couple of weeks ago.
BTW, I currently have a Sony (non S-VHS) that I connect to my receiver with a composite to S-video adapter so that I can use my receiver to switch between video sources without having to switch inputs on the TV. This works great but lately I'm thinking that I'd like to have the improvement in recording quality with an S-VHS VCR.
One last comment, I tried the JVC-S3600 a while back that I bought specifically for it's ability to record S-VHS quality on standard VHS tapes when using the ET mode. I found this to be untrue and also found that playback of pre-recorded tapes looked worse than when played back on my standard VCR so I returned it......maybe I'll give the Philips a shot.
Vin
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks