What's new

Philips to promote widescreen over 4:3 TV (1 Viewer)

In clicking the link to win a Philips DVD recorder on this site, I noticed a "digital widescreen - see what you've been missing" button on the Philips website. Clicking it brings you to a great website (Link Removed) on the virtues of widescreen, and of course Philips widescreen TVs. ;) According to the site, Philips is teaming with Martin Scorsese to launch a "'see what you've been missing' global educational campaign designed to provide the public at large with a clearer understanding of widescreen formatted television (16:9), and to promote the viewing of widescreen versus the standard 4:3 format television set." With the calls on this board to start educating the consumers, it looks like the CE companies may be out best friends in this fight.
--Andrew

John J Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
It does stress several times that 16:9 TV means no more black bars. We all know that's not the case, with easily 50% of films being shot in 2.35:1...

-- J.

Lars Vermundsberget

Supporting Actor
If they say "no more black bars", that could become a problem.

As long as movies have different OARs and TV sets have fixed ARs (4:3 OR 16:9), there is obviously going to be EITHER black bars OR some sort of distortion to the picture some times. That is after all the important message.

Lance Rumbolt

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Philip in the UK Philips is one of the top sellers of widescreen TV's and yes they are very good indeed.

Widescree TV's in the UK I believe outsell 4:3 sets. I would apreciate if someone could confirm this.

Lance UK

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, they should be careful about the "no black bars" assertion.
Otherwise, :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:
Now to make a Philips purchase...

Jay Villero

Agent
I was just at cnnsi.com and a Philips pop-up ad came up promoting widescreen! It let you sample the look of "standard" vs "widescreen" for three sports: golf, football, and basketball. I have screen shots of the basketball one, but no website to post them on.

Matt Wallace

Second Unit
I hate to be the party pooper, but this "campaign" Phillips is talking about has been around for at least 2 years. When they first launched the site, they were also giving away a free copy of the book "DTV for Dummies" for about 6 months, then yanked the offer. I know of no one who actually got the book. I, too, was just as excited to read about this when I did, but the more I checked around about it , and the more often I checked back, the more I realized that it's mostly lip service and marketing. However, I'd love to be proved wrong and have them do a 180 and get something going ....

Matt

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
There are a significant amount of widescreen movies available on DVD that display in letterbox only, especially earlier movies filmed in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Viewing letterboxed movies on a widescreen set may not eliminate the black bars entirely, but does reduce them while providing a larger, clearer picture in its entirety.
They're not saying "no black bars". I think they're giving a proper picture (p.i).

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks