Philips SACD 1000 vs Sony's SACD players

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dennis Jacob, Oct 21, 2001.

1. Dennis Jacob

Dennis Jacob Agent

Who owns one of these Philips SACD/DVD 1000 players? How do you like it? How does it compare to Sony's high-end SACD players? I only have one 5.1 analog input, so I'm thinking about doing either a SACD multi-channel plus DVD-V player. It needs to be able to play CD-R and CD-RW discs too. So that rules out Sony's 9000 model.
    ------------------

2. BillG

BillG Agent

I, too, am interested in some sort of all-in-one player. My Panasonic DVD-A110 is still going - probably the last one in the world that still works! But it's getting time to look for a replacement. With only one 5.1 input, I'd like to get something with the following features:
    1) Plays standard DVD.
    2) Plays DVD-Audio.
    3) Plays multi-chanel SACD.
    4) Contains Pacific Microsonics HDCD decoder.
    5) Single tray player. No changers for me.
    6) On-board bass management for all decoders. Probably the most important aspect of this is that I want no sub when playing two-channel sources.
    Not important:
    1) CD-R and CD-RW playback.
    2) MP3 decoder.

3. Julian Reville

Julian Reville Screenwriter

These SACD players are too pricey for me, but I wanted to chime in that I still have a functioning A110 as well. [​IMG]
    Darn thing just won't die and give me an excuse to upgrade.

4. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus Supporting Actor

Roger Mathus
    More choices are on the way. Pioneer has just introduced mid-priced DVD player with SACD in Japan. It is priced at Elite 37 model level as I recall. SACD seems to be getting rave reviews since releasing multi-channel and software support is growing. SACD is also offered on some Marantz models, but at higher price point.

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Dennis,

I have not used the Philips SACD-1000, but it has gotten modest reviews from what I have seen. Sound & Vision noted several months ago that the '1000 lacks bass management for multi-channel SACD. All of Sony's multi-channel SACD players offer limited bass management. The Sony players don't allow you to dial in the crossover, but you can indicate speaker size and the presence or absence of a center channel and subwoofer. Also, Stereophile listed the '1000 as a Class 'B' component in its latest rendition of "Recommended Components" (October issue). All in all, a Class-B rating is not bad, but it seems that Sony SACD players are almost always awarded an 'A' or 'A+' rating.

Roger,

I am curious about the DVD/SACD player from Pioneer you are referring to, as I've heard nothing about it. The British magazines have reported the release of the DV-747A from Pioneer, which is a progressive-scan player that plays both multi-channel SACDs and DVD-Audio discs. Is this the player you have seen in Japan? The '747A could appeal to Bill, but I don't know if it will be sold in North America.

The other question I have is whether any new Pioneer SACD player performs true DSD decoding for SACD. Many reports I have read on the DV-AX10 (no multi-channel SACD) say that it processes the DSD bitstream through a PCM DAC.

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Keith,
    i just went analog out from the C555ES (two channel) ...outstanding man! Think i'm gonna stick with it. Forgot to order two additional cables last month when i ordered for multichannel. [​IMG]
    - Chip

7. Jaehoon Heo

Jaehoon Heo Stunt Coordinator

KeithH,

I think you don't need to worry about DSD conversion to PCM. That downconversion means the LPF on DSD in digital domain. In pure DSD playback, you will have analog filter instead. If done right, digital LPF(but with decimation) may provide better sound than DSD playback with pure analog LPF. It depends on the real implementation.

8. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus
    Keith, the Pioneer 747 is the player I am referring to. Pricing is same as the new Sony 900. The 747 looks like replacement for the 37 model.

I have a Pioneer DV-AX10 that is all region DVD and has no problem with RCE. Although it has SACD capability, I have never used it as SACD player. I have separate audio and video systems. My audio system has Marantz SA-1 player. After 11 months, however, the Marantz failed big time last week. While playing regular CD, there were pops and noises and from that time there was only silence when trying to play a CD. At the same time, SACD playback was fine. Marantz send a truck and picked it up for repair. Nice service, I expected to have to take in it or ship it.

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Chip,
    Are you saying that you are now using the stereo analog outputs on the 'C555ES for CDs and stereo SACDs? If so, are you then saying that you hear an improvement using the stereo analog outputs versus the front left and right jacks on the 5.1-channel outputs? From the day I got the 'C555ES, I connected it to my main stereo system using the stereo analog outputs and to my A/V receiver using the 5.1-channel outputs. So, I have not used the 5.1-channel outputs for stereo playback. All I can say is that the 'C555ES is a great stereo component. Yeah, I am going to stick with it too. [​IMG]
    Jaehoon,
    We'll have to see how the Pioneer DV-747A handles SACD. I would prefer not to see the DSD bitstream processed through a PCM DAC because I am afraid the harsh, edgy sound I always associate with PCM could come through.
    Roger,
    I remember reading here or on Audio Asylum that you have the Pioneer DV-AX10 and the Marantz SA-1. Sorry to hear about the problem with your SA-1. Surprisingly, it seems that a number have reported problems with the SA-1 on Audio Asylum. I am surprised that a player at its price point and with its overall build quality would have so many problems. Although the problem you are experiencing is unexpected and frustrating, it's amazing that Marantz would send someone to your house to pick up the player. That would never happen in the US.

10. Roger Mathus

Roger Mathus
    I suspect that the problem with the SA-1 is one of the cheaper components. I think that there are separate laser pickups for SACD and CD. It would seem that, if this is the case, the CD laser has gone out.

Yes, excellent service. Never would Sony offer to pick up a defective product. Service centers in Japan seem busy these days.

11. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

"Chip,
    Are you saying that you are now using the stereo analog outputs on the 'C555ES for CDs and stereo SACDs?"
    Keith, I was using the DAC's in the B&K for CD playback. Now i'm using the DAC's in the 555...it sounds just as good or better than using the B&K. [​IMG]
    - Chip

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Roger,
    You are probably right in your assessment of the problem with your SA-1. Should be an easy fix.
    Chip,
    Ah, I get it now. As I'm sure you know, Sony's SACD players have gotten high marks for CD playback via the analog outputs, so your observations don't really surprise me. Now, how will the sound of CDs played on the 'C555ES through the analog outputs compare to the sound using a digital output to the Pioneer Elite '49TX receiver? [​IMG]
    I was in the Tweeter on Kirkwood Highway in Delaware last night and was talking to a salesman about the new Sony ES receivers, which they just got in stock. We got to talking about receivers in general, and the salesman went on and on about the Pioneer Elite '49TX. They don't have it yet, but the salesman said he has heard a lot of good things about it and can't wait to actually get to play with it. I'm sure you can't either. [​IMG]