philips Q50 dvd player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by michael.ong, Jun 23, 2002.

1. michael.ong

michael.ong Extra

hello all

Would like to know if there are anyone with philips dvdq50 dvd player ? would like to know how this player fares compared to others in the market

ive heard that this player has the farodja chip (correct?) so they visuals are great? is this true ? ive only manage to see dvdq30 (a lower end model)

2. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Michael,
    If you're considering the DVDQ50, you might consider waiting for the Philips DVD962SA ($599 MSRP). It also has the Faroudja chipset and does multi-channel SACD with bass management. Redbook CD performance is suppose to be improved with a dual laser pickup. Even though it is on the Philips website, I have yet to find a local dealer that carries it.

Previous posts on the DVDQ50 ($499 MSRP) mention problems with freeze frame.

3. michael.ong

michael.ong Extra

thanks for the reply
    i have yet to see any mention of the upcoming model also.perhaps i should just get a normal dvd player w/out progressive scan. seems like most of the good prog scan players are all the high end models!!

4. stephen_z

stephen_z Stunt Coordinator

Michael,
    The older model Panasonic RP56 has progressive scan using Faroudja for $175 on-line. The latest model is RP62 is even cheaper $155 on-line. There is also the latest Denon 1600 which uses Faroudja and also plays DVD-A ($415)... there is a good write-up in Secrets of Home Theater...
    www.hometheaterhifi.com
    If you don't have HDTV compatible display or don't plan to, there's no need for progressive scan.

5. Jim Golden

Jim Golden Stunt Coordinator

I've had this player since last Christmas, with no problems whatsoever.

A free 90 day replacement warranty comes standard from the factory. I bought a 2 year free replacement warranty (based on comments I read on the players reliability) from Philips for $54.00.

I got the player at Circuit City for $399.00.

I tried the RP56 and didn't like it's lack of features. It also seemed to "mess up" (i.e. they didn't look right) on blacks and some colors.

Jim

6. JonBouche

JonBouche Agent

I've had the Q50 since late Feb/02 and after upgrading the firmware to the 4.5i version, I have not yet had 1 issue with the player. The video is awesome for this price, hooked up to my 55" Mits HDTV. Plus, I only paid $300 for it, so I can't complain about the price.

I avoided the RP56 due to it's lack of a coax digital output. It only has an optical digital connection, which I didn't want to use.

I had considered waiting for the 962 from Philips, but since it's been delayed so long and now there is talk of the 963, I got tired of waiting and just kept this player. No, it doesn't do SACD, but I would likely just buy a dedicated player for that. I bought it strictly for video quality and I don't think it can be beat in for this price.

If you can find one at a good price, jump on it. You will die a slow death waiting for the newest model...

7. Phil Nichols

Phil Nichols Second Unit

Jon,

Your Q50 not only has the Faroudja FLI2200 deinterlacer ...... but I think the Q50 teams it up with a 12-bit video DAC.

This is a pretty doggone rare combination and may have something to do with the fantastic image it puts out!

(The Denon, Pany's, and others use 10-bit V-dacs with the Faroudja chip.)

8. Jim Golden

Jim Golden Stunt Coordinator

Jon:

Slightly off topic, but how and where did you get a firmware upgrade?

Jim