What's new

Philips PET 700 region code hack? (1 Viewer)

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
I'm not sure if this is the right place, but none of the hardware forums looked apropos and I couldn't find anything searching the forums.

I've recently purchased a portable DVD player, a Philips PET 700, which I like quite a bit, but wanted to make region 0, or at least be able to change regions at will. Now this is the second unit I've had (first one had a defect and needed to be returned). The first one I could use the remote hack to access the operator menu for region code no problem doing the following (as published on amazon.co.uk):

power on
open lid
press Setup on remote
Select Preferences from menu
Press 2,5,2,3,1,5
Press Left, Down
and then the code selection screen pops up.

With the replacement unit that works fine this doesn't work at all and I just stay on the Preferences screen and am toggling between different language choices for the menu. I'm guessing there was a firmware update and I've got a newer (or older) machine which uses a different sequence to access the region coding menu. Anyone happen to know if this is the case and what the sequence is to access the menu? I'm going to be taking this thing on holiday a week from Tuesday and would like to be able to watch region one as well as region 2 stuff on it.

If this isn't the relevant forum, please feel free to relocate it elsewhere.

Cheers,

Sean

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Sean,

This will look stupid, but are you sure it isn't code-free already? Most newer players are now.

Last year I bought a TV + DVD-player combi for my daughter (not a portable) and to my surprise, although the manual said nothing about it, it played R2 and R1 DVDs without a wink.

(And, sorry, I'm afraid I can't help you to that sequence.)

Cees

Sean Aaron

Second Unit
Real Name
Sean Aaron
It isn't, sadly.

Oy, colour me stupid. After doing this with my wife sitting next to me for ages the other day and then multiple times just now, I finally realised that I forgot left from right and have been pressing RIGHT, DOWN following the numeric key presses!

Um, please someone save my embarassment and delete this thread...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks