Philips or Sony Widescreen?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Tuan Vo, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Tuan Vo

Tuan Vo Stunt Coordinator

Well my dilemma is I have a Philips 30PW862H 30" widescreen and I had it for about three months already. I was just wondering how this one stacks up to the Sony KV-30HS420 because I had bought this one at Circuit City on my Circuit City credit so I could try it out. So far I don't see much of a difference between the two. I mean I like the Sony because its a Sony. I'm willing to sell the Philips out if I plan to keep the Sony, but like yea, I just wanted to know what people's opinion on this would be?

2. Tuan Vo

Well my dilemma is I have a Philips 30PW862H 30" widescreen and I had it for about three months already. I was just wondering how this one stacks up to the Sony KV-30HS420 because I had bought this one at Circuit City on my Circuit City credit so I could try it out. So far I don't see much of a difference between the two. I mean I like the Sony because its a Sony. I'm willing to sell the Philips out if I plan to keep the Sony, but like yea, I just wanted to know what people's opinion on this would be?

3. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The Sony has a better picture in my opinion, but I dont like the cabinet on the Sony. It just looks like a whole chunk of casing and a small screen in the middle. But that is just me.

4. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

The Sony has a better picture in my opinion, but I dont like the cabinet on the Sony. It just looks like a whole chunk of casing and a small screen in the middle. But that is just me.

5. Tuan Vo

Yes I agree that the Sony's cabinet doesn't look that good. I might consider buying the HS510 series thats on clearance but I heard that those had problems. This one looks bulky and not as sleek as my Philips. I sort of think my Philips has a small power supply because when using Avia to calibrate, it seemed like the vertical lines were bending when I turned the picture / brightness up so that would be the only reason I keep the Sony. If I find a buyer for the Philips I'll keep the Sony but so far I don't find any reason to keep the Sony yet except for a few bells and whistles.

6. Tuan Vo

Yes I agree that the Sony's cabinet doesn't look that good. I might consider buying the HS510 series thats on clearance but I heard that those had problems. This one looks bulky and not as sleek as my Philips. I sort of think my Philips has a small power supply because when using Avia to calibrate, it seemed like the vertical lines were bending when I turned the picture / brightness up so that would be the only reason I keep the Sony. If I find a buyer for the Philips I'll keep the Sony but so far I don't find any reason to keep the Sony yet except for a few bells and whistles.

7. Tuan Vo

[​IMG]

The Philips of course...

[​IMG]

The Sony...just how the tvs actually look...Sony is bulky...and no I don't plan on keeping both even though I would like to...haha

8. Tuan Vo

[​IMG]

The Philips of course...

[​IMG]

The Sony...just how the tvs actually look...Sony is bulky...and no I don't plan on keeping both even though I would like to...haha

9. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Sony: BETTER RESOLUTION and COLOR. Remember it's main purpose: picture viewing!!!

Better power supply.

Any other reason NOT to keep a TV?

Philips is OK, but picture wise the Sony toasts it. Besides, you;re talking to an owner of a KV-34XBR910. The 420 is respectable in comparison. For the price it's the best TV on the market.

10. PeterTHX

PeterTHX Cinematographer

Sony: BETTER RESOLUTION and COLOR. Remember it's main purpose: picture viewing!!!

Better power supply.

Any other reason NOT to keep a TV?

Philips is OK, but picture wise the Sony toasts it. Besides, you;re talking to an owner of a KV-34XBR910. The 420 is respectable in comparison. For the price it's the best TV on the market.

11. Tuan Vo

Yeah I agree the sony has a better powersupply. I'll find out when I use Avia on it but I still might have to return the Sony if I can't find a buyer for the Philips.

12. Tuan Vo

Yeah I agree the sony has a better powersupply. I'll find out when I use Avia on it but I still might have to return the Sony if I can't find a buyer for the Philips.

13. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

14. Tuan Vo

The component inputs work with both HD and non-HD, theres more connections and it has HDMI separate from the component while the Philips has the DVI coupled with the component HD. The components work only HD exclusive so when I have my PS2 hooked up it wouldn't play games so I had to connect it to the S-video. And the power supply on the Sony is much better than the Philips. I could tell using Avia that the Philips had a weak power supply. But other than that I'll be okay with keeping the Philips. I like both TVs almost equally. The Philips has PIP / PAP and a headphone jack. Thats about it. More opinions would help still. Thanks so far.

15. Tuan Vo

Well, after discussing with the manager at Sears, he let me return the Philips tv, even though it was 90 days since I bought it. Very nice of Sears. Sony has just too good of a power supply over the Philips. No wavy picture on the edge of the TV screen. Its just a matter of how the new Toshiba series holds up against the Sony which I might make a new thread for. Thanks for all the opinions.

16. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Is there a cheaper/better successor coming out soon for this TV? The Sony one I mean.

17. Tuan Vo

The KV-30HS420 is pretty good for its price already and it just came out like 2 weeks ago. Slashed 500 off of the KV-30HS510. But so far alot of HDTVs in the 30" range are going down. The Toshiba 30" thats going to come out, I heard its 100 less than the Sony. The new Samsungs have DVI and built in HDTV tuners for the same price as before. Walmart has a Sanyo 30" for an attractive price. Yep...so many choices out there as opposed to a year ago...