Philips Laserdisc player

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Victor R, Oct 13, 2001.

1. Victor R

Victor R Agent

I have the opportunity to purchase a Philips Laserdisc player Model CDV 750 (bought new in 1996) for $250. The unit looks flawless and works fine as far as I can tell (seller is looking to get out of LD's for DVD's). I am quite tempted but am unable to find any information on this player; it looks like Philips is no longer making LD players. I actually have been unable to find out any information on any Philips LD player.
    Can anyone here give me information on this unit? Is this a reasonable price or should I try to negotiate? Am I better off with a Pioneer unit instead, or is this player simply a rebadged Pioneer unit?
    Any information/advice would be appreciated.
    Victor
    ------------------

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Victor,
    I went through all this a couple of years ago when I was trying to sell my Pioneer LD player. After searching e-bays old auctions for actual selling prices, I determined the following: A nice player with A3-C is worth about $250-300. About the best an excellent player without AC-3 would get was $125-150. Players of both categories that included laser discs brought more money, depending on the number of discs.
    That said, you might check e-bay for your particular Phillips model and see what you can find. That would be the best way to make an informed descision.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

3. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

I'd be surprised if the Philips isn't a rebadged Pioneer. By 1996, I don't think anyone else was still making their own players.
    The LD archive page doesn't seem to be working, but look at google's cache (http://www.google.com/search?q=cache...chive_page.htm) I couldn't even find a model 750... (!)
    The players I would look for (all Pioneer, or something based off of these):
    CLD-704/Elite 79 (essentially the same player) [this is what I have, FWIW] $300-$400
    Elite CLD-97 (no AC3) $500-$700
    Elite CLD-99 $750-$1250 (you can get the HK version of the CLD-99 new still)
    And Elite 59 is the same as a CLD-606, I believe. I'd say that's in the $200-$300 range.
    If you're willing to spend $200, I wouldn't look at anything less than a 606. I used to have a CLD-505, which was a decent player, but really pales in comparison to the ones mentioned above.
    Also, remember a comb filter is a cruicial part of the LD experience... The 97/99 are the only players that have really good built-in comb filters (via the s-video jack)

4. Richard Cook

Richard Cook Stunt Coordinator

Hello Victor
    This LD player was actually made by Marantz for Philips and from what I remember was quite a good unit.
    It didn't have an AC3 output, but it may be possible for it to be adapted. Also, I'm not sure whether it had 'both sides play'
    Hope this helps
    ------------------
    Richard (UK)

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

www.precisionlaserdisc.com sells AC3 kits for most LD players
    I printed out a sheet of players they sell kits for, and that model is not listed.
    Not sure why?
    ------------------
    Why?
    Why do you keep hounding me and harassing me and hounding me?
    It's not like I don't have anything better to do, you know.
    It's not like the Phantom Cruiser is going to wax itself.
    It's not like last night's burrito stain will just up and remove itself from my cape.
    I am a superhero!
    A very very busy superhero! Who does...things!
    Now get out of here before I tell your mother.
    AND DON'T TRAMPLE MY BEGONIAS!
    -Space Ghost..

6. Victor R

Victor R Agent

I would like to thank all who responded. It is quite interesting; I found nothing on this specific model even with all the help I got on the forum.
    I went ahead and bought the unit. Final negotiated price: $200. The unit is marked 1996 and says made in Japan on it. It features both double sided play as well as optical digital out. No AC3. It has an interesting "theater feature" on it that darkens the display and speeds up side changes, muting the picture to black in the process.
    It has an interesting feature in that it has a separate CD drawer opening within the larger LD drawer. The unit plays 12" LD's, 8" LD's, 5" CD's as well as 3" CD's.
    I am very happy with both picture and sound quality and find it rivals that of my Sony DVD 9000ES.
    This is the first time that I personally got lost in the game manufacturers play by constantly changing models and model numbers without any (real) change in features. I will be on the lookout for more information and post it if I find any; if anyone has any other thoughts based on the additional information I supplied, I'd be very interested in hearing it.
    Victor
    ------------------

7. Jerry T

Jerry T Agent

Anyone have info on a Kenwood LVD 930R Laserdisc Player? Searched all over the net and ebay. Nothing.
    It does have an optical output and plays a Telarc DTS Demo CD just fine, actually sounded darn good. I was wondering if it can output AC-3 or do I need a RF-Modulator for that? I have the Denon 3300 and not sure if it can decode AC-3 from LDs.
    I might be alittle off topic but decided against starting a new thread. Hope you dont mind Victor. [​IMG]
    Also, other than ebay, where can one find DTS LDs to purchase online? Where can one find Japanese LDs? How do Asian LDs compare to North American LDs?
    Any input is much appreciated.
    Jerry