What's new

Philips embraces DVD-Audio (sort of) (1 Viewer)

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Brian,

Nope, everyone doesn't. A superior codec can produce better results with fewer bits. You don't know me very well if you think I believe that the bit rate is the sole determining factor in quality.

I'm concerned with encoding efficiency and minimum introduction of encoder/decoder artifacts. On the toughest materials, by your own admission, MPEG-2 breaks down where WM-9 and MPEG-4 do not. That is (IMO) reason enough.

I also think that red laser @ 9Mbits with WM-9 or MPEG-4 is a good interim solution. With the WM-9 capable players forthcoming, I think it'll be a nice stopgap assuming some titles are made available.

Cheers,

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Will all of this matter to stupid people like me who are still planning on buying a 36" Tau TV set? BTW: I think this 633mHz Compaq is pretty quick (my email loads fast!); power windows in a Cavalier bother me; and I wish Starbucks hadn't replaced their human-operated espresso machines with those computerized versions--my Cafe Americanos taste too watery lots more often now! :frowning:

Anybody know where I can buy a rebuild kit for a hand-cranked telephone? I can only reach as far as the dry goods store lately. :D

LJ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks