Philips DVP642 - Region free + Certified DivX player

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Peter Kim, May 2, 2004.

1. Peter Kim

Peter Kim Screenwriter

I've owned this player for a couple of weeks now and for me, it's a workhorse. First of all, it is a DivX-certified player. Plays Divx, xvid, avi, mpeg (1,2,4).

There is a firmware upgrade at Philips website. Once installed (a little tricky...the f/u defaults the player to another player, so the picture comes out scolling vertically - although difficult, switch to the correct player version and all will be right).

The remote hack to enable region-free playback works and is the following:

1. Turn on the player.
    2. Open the tray.
    3. Press the following sequence on the remote:
    7 8 9 OK 0
    4. The number 0 will appear on the lower left side of your screen.
    5. Your player is now region free! Put in a DVD and enjoy!

I've tested this player with City of God (R2/PAL - UK) and it plays flawlessly.

Also, there was a problem with the Philips 727 (which I also own), where on Disney dvds like the Lion King, the multi-angle icon is displayed at the beginning and ending credits of the film. This could not be removed.

This is no longer a problem with the 642.

The 642 is sold at Target for $69.99 (90 day return period, no restocking fee, also 10% off coupons floating around Fatwallet). It is aso sold at CompUSA (restock fee) and Bestbuy.com (free shipping) for the same price.

This player looks good too. It is about 1/3 smaller than my Philips 727.

2. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

Got my brother one of these as a graduation gift, mainly because of the DivX feature. The DivX playback is not perfect, and when there is a lot of motion going on (say like in a fight scene in the Asian cut of Kill Biil) there is some slowdown. Overall, it's a great player though, and it played my Region 2 OAR copy of Timecop better than any other player I've thrown it in thus far.

One funny note, there is no DTS logo on the player, and no mention of it in the manual. Pop in a DTS disc, and even though a message comes on the screen saying "CANNOT DECODE DTS, PLEASE CHOOSE ANOTHER AUDIO TRACK", it plays the DTS as you read the message. Simply hit pause to make the message go away, and enjoy the DTS track. I guess they didn't want to pay DTS for licensing fees, but still made it DTS capable.

3. Mitch L

Mitch L Auditioning

You made this player sound so good I started looking around to buy one. But now I've read a few reviews saying the video quality is low, that it shows pixelation on a lot of disks. I just want a decent picture and audio for PAL R2 disks. Do you recommend this one still? I have a Sampo that freezes occasionally on dual layer disks and also "squeezes" PAL a little . I want to upgrade, but still on a budget until the new format in 05-06. Thanks for advice--
    Mitch

4. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

According to my brother, progressive video quality is quite good (he's been breaking it in with his Panasonic 47WX49).

It is an $80 player, so you can't expect perfection, but thus far it has performed well.

5. Laura_V

Laura_V Auditioning

After you make this player region free, and when you play a DVD from Europe (region 6 or PAL format) do you need a multisystem TV or it will play on a regular NTSC TV?
    Thanks for the answer!

6. Mitch L

Mitch L Auditioning

You will be able to play on any TV. One of the main attractions to this player is the PAL-NTSC convertor. Supposedly the playback won't suffer from the squeezing effect that some converted PAL sources show.
    That said, I'm now leaning towards the Momitsu player. I'm doing a lot of searching, and supposedly the Momitsu has the best chipset for PAL conversion. Any opinions?

7. JayHM

JayHM Stunt Coordinator

Anamorphic PAL discs display on my 4:3 NTSC TV using this player at the correct aspect ratio. No problem there. However, there are some big time jaggies along the edges of object, which I'm told aren't visible on some higher-end players that do PAL->NTSC.

However, if I switched from 4:3 mode to 16:9, the picture looked perfect with no jaggies (though stretched on my 4:3 TV of course). Point is, if you have a 16:9 TV, the PAL->NTSC conversion this player does looks great. It'd be nice if a future firmware update takes care of the jaggies in 4:3 mode, since even the Philips 727 seems to do a better job.

8. JayHM

JayHM Stunt Coordinator

Anamorphic PAL discs display on my 4:3 NTSC TV using this player at the correct aspect ratio. No problem there. However, there are some big time jaggies along the edges of object, which I'm told aren't visible on some higher-end players that do PAL->NTSC.

However, if I switched from 4:3 mode to 16:9, the picture looked perfect with no jaggies (though stretched on my 4:3 TV of course). Point is, if you have a 16:9 TV, the PAL->NTSC conversion this player does looks great. It'd be nice if a future firmware update takes care of the jaggies in 4:3 mode, since even the Philips 727 seems to do a better job.

9. Tory

Tory -The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-

Tory

What exactly does this upgrade do? Is it necessary? Why do you say switching to the correct player version is difficult? Is something else other than the original code needed? Do I need to download the upgrade?

As for the DVD player, I like it very much and I haven't noticed jaggles. It plays better than DVD players I have spent much more for and the Pal to NTSC conversion looks great. I don't notice anything wrong.

10. Tory

Tory
    I went ahead and did that patch and I nearly had a heart attack, my screen on all regions was purple!!! It's OK though, it just changed my video set up from YPbPr to S-Video, it was preset the other way before. I notice the audio sounds better to me, but I couldn't next chapter right, but it seems to work now. Also I'm starting to notice some flaws in the film I'm watching, but they may just be me looking for something right now. My only import right now is the Tex Avery Collection and that is unrestored film from decades past. Still, I don't see jaggles and I know I would be seeing alot on other DVD players. Also All colors appear right and do not mix up together. I don't know the technical term, but I have had problems with contrasting colors and shades near each other in tight patterns on other DVD players and I do not notice it on this DVD player.

Does anyone know what this patch was about? It would have been nice if they said what it did...I'm wondering, could it have made things worse?

Crud, it just froze odd, it didn't do that before! I wish I didn't do that!

11. Jay W.

Jay W. Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone with this player have the audio cut out for a split second? I have only noticed this while player Dobly Digital 5.1 discs and usually only happens once (sometimes twice a movie). I have not done the firmware upgrade yet.

12. Matt Czyz

Matt Czyz Supporting Actor

I have had this player for about 2 months now and have had no audio dropouts. You may want to return it for another one and see if it still happens.

13. Tory

Tory
    OK, there was gunk on my DVD, it seems they had some on the package on the DVD bed, it was not on it when I first playes but it was the second time I put it in.

I got it off and although the disc looks a little worse, it plays perfect on this DVD player. Audio on it is fine.

14. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

so I still hear that the 727 had an excellent picture in all regions, and is the one to beat.

is the 642 only just "very good"?

15. Tory

Tory

I'd say mine is excellent but I have only experienced Region 1 and Region 2 from France and that Region 2 is old cartoons on dusty film but it still looks as good as anything here.

16. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

can you confirm the patch #? I found 2-and neither mention region code clearing