Philips DVDR985 Problem

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Sean Moon, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Sean Moon

Sean Moon Cinematographer

I just bought this player tonight open box from Best Buy. It was an amazing deal on this player, even though it was a year old. Now I hook it up and everything is all fine, except I dont have the remote, which I am going to order from Philps. My problem is that the progressive picture on it is off center. Meaning that the bottom black bar on SCOPE movies, like Matrix, is larger than the top one. The top bar is almost not there at all. Now is this an overscan issue? Is it the player? Because my JVC XV75 has worked perfectly on my Panny PT47WX49 for over a year now. So should I wait for the remote to tweak the picture if I can on this player? or is it something that sounds beyond control.

2. Jay Foster

Jay Foster Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

I just got this recorder/player today and I have the exact same problem. Anyone out there know why?

By the way, since it has the Faroudja chip, did you notice an improvement in picture quality? What I mean is, my dvd player broke and I bought a pioneer progressive scan DV-260 as a quick replacement and I don't notice a great improvement in picture quality. I'm ordering the Liteon 2001 also to see if there is an improvement in PQ.

3. Jay Foster

Anyone having this same problem with this one?

4. Steve Phillips

Steve Phillips Screenwriter

That problem occured on all of the DVDR985s out of the box. You can request a free upgrade CD from Philips, which will correct the problem and also add a couple of extra recording speeds.

Hopefully you got a really good deal on this, as the newer models from Philips are already selling for as little as $399, and are significantly better performers.

5. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    I would run as fast as I can back to BB and return it.

It will be nothing but trouble for you...the 985 first generation models are by far the worst and most problematic recorders to date.

Go to dvdplusRW.org to see for yourself.

No way I'd spend anything over say $50 for that machine...not worth the chance that you got one of the many bad ones they put out there.

Get the DVDR 75 2nd gen. and I think you'll be MUCH happier.

Now run young man RUN!!!

6. Jay Foster

Hi Steve and Alf,

I got mine from Sears so I have a 30 day return policy. Do the 2nd generation recorders from philips have the Farojouda (i know i'm misspelling this word) chip?

If not, since I bought the warranty from sears which covers me for anything for 3 years, should I stick with this one since it has this chip and Sears will repair/replace, etc.?

By the way, for some reason, I didn't notice much of an improvement over the cheap Pioneer dvd player I listed in my earlier message. I have an Hitachi 61UWX10B. Any ideas why I don't see much of a picture improvement? While I'm no expert, I have turned down the contract, brightness, etc. to do a little tweaking myself. Thanks for your help.

7. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    The cool new DVDR80 has that chip AND 8 hour recording. A very nice machine if the chip is that important to you.

It does cost more than the 75, but if you feel you need that chip than it's probably worth the extra $$$.

I think it would be a ROYAL pain to have to send it in to Sears warranty and wait weeks to get it back...just not worth taking the chance IMHO.

8. Jay Foster

Hi Alf,

Do you know where I can get a good deal on the DVDR80?

By the way, any ideas on why I don't see much improvement on picture quality? When I moved from vhs to dvd, it was dramatic but upgrading to a player with this chip doesn't seem as dramatic.

9. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The Faroudja de-interlacer chipset improves the quality from video-based material, however most DVDs are from film-based material (movies) so the difference will be very small with those, certainly not expected to be dramatic. Try a music video DVD or TV episodes on DVD to compare.

10. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Jay,

Here's Pricescan's latest:

HERE

Looks like $488 is lowest they found.

11. Jay Foster

Hi,

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I understand about the chip now.