Philips' DVDR 985 is an absolute wonder machine that continues to surprise! :-)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Inspector Hammer!, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Inspector Hammer!

Inspector Hammer! Executive Producer

John Williamson
    I just got Philips' dvd recorder and I can honestly say i've never had this much pleasure from a device in my history in this hobby folks!

Pleasant surprises were at every turn, from it's flawless cable tuner that makes ordinary cable look just gorgeous, to it's DCDi progressive chip provided by the good people at FAROUDIA that really unleashed the power hidden in my dvd's video image and blew away the otherwise great 3-2 pulldown circuitry in my monitor. Another plesant surprise was the finalization time for a disc, it's actually LESS time then my cd recorder! [​IMG] I was also happy to learn that it can play PAL dvd's as well! Couple all that with my 48" HD and i've never been happier with my HT. [​IMG]

It does have that odd overscan bug in progressive mode that plagued the earlier runs of this model and causes the picture to be raised up too high on the screen, but i'm rectifying that right now and will recieve a replacement tomorrow/today, hopefully without the bug.

Deleted by administrator.

Sorry, I don't know why I started this thread, but i'm just so happy with this machine I had to share the news. [​IMG] If you havn't bought one and have been thinking it over, I say go for it, it's just such a rewarding piece of equipment and I highly recommend it. [​IMG]

Now, I wonder what else it can do...

2. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

John,
    There is a firmware fix available on CD from Philips to fix the picture shifted up. Just call customer service and they will send you one.

3. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Manoj,

i'll see how the replacement works out first, if that one is bad too i'll do that. Thanks. [​IMG]

4. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Hey, John.

What year is the DVDR 985?

I just wondered how it compared to the 963SA feature-wise. I wondered if it was basically the same machine, but a writer too. I imagine it's not SACD, but if that's the biggest difference it might be worth a look, especially if they're already fixing the bugs.

5. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

The 985 uses a similar video section in some ways to the 962, it has the Faroudja 2200 series de-interlacing chipset, but it does not have the same video DACs. That said, I think it is the best PQ that I have seen on a video recorder for regular DVD playback, and I have a good friend who uses it as his main machine on a 43" Pioneer plasma.

6. Grant H

Grant H Cinematographer

Does anyone know if a new model (upgraded) is coming soon?

7. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Grant,
    the model I have is the 2002 edition, not sure when the newer models will hit shelves though, soon I would think since it's early 2003.

I called Philips this morning and the firmware upgrade cd is on it's way so I cancelled the replacement. This cd should take care of this minor glitch, but other than that, the recorder performs flawlessly i'm happy to say.

I assume I just place the disc in the tray and the disc will do the rest? Any other proceedures I need to do after I load the disc?

8. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

The new DVDR80 is coming out around mid-year. It will use a Gemstar driven (free) guide for recording and also use the new Faroudja 2300 series chipset.

9. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

John,
    There are instructions with the Philips disc and, if I remember correctly, it is very straightforward to do the upgrade.

10. rob-socal

rob-socal Agent

I missed the End-of-the-year deal on this and am waiting for prices to drop again. Another cool feature I'm told is that it can be used as an external de-interlacer/line doubler. I think that may be one reason why your cable looks so much better. Does your TV have the ability to display what type of signal it's receiving ? Is it 480P when watching cable ?

-RJ.

11. Inspector Hammer!

John Williamson
    Good question Rob, I believe that it is converting cable to 480p, when I watch cable with the recorder switched on, my monitor is set to it's progressive video channel and the feed is coming from the recorder's progressive output. I've never really seen basic cable look this good, it must be doing this.

I also noticed something that was odd at first until I realized what it was: while watching that new show 'Kingpin' the other night, I noticed that the show was about a second out of synch with the other tv in the house, it was behind actually. I realized that while I have the recorder on, it must be digitizing cable which would cause the delay I was seeing.