Philips DVD963SA

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by matt-f, Aug 13, 2003.

1. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting this unit but I would like to get more info about it. If people here have it, I would like to hear your expereinces about it.

Thanks

2. MarkyM

MarkyM Agent

Count me in too..the only thing bad I've heard about this player is the reverse angle icon stays on the screen when veiwing a DVD with this feature....

3. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Try doing a search for plenty of info and some personal opinions/reviews of it.

In brief, I'd say it's a lot of player for the $$$ -- both video and audio performance and features (hidden and otherwise) -- but it has its share of quirks and flaws. The angle icon issue is one. Another is the faint vertical green stripes problem, which is apparently easily correctible, if you're handy w/ a soldering iron. Not really sure how common this problem is, but I've read of several posters over on AVS forum having it plus myself w/ 2 different units. A third is the rather slow player responsiveness, especially the remote sensor although one could fix that by reseating the sensor. A fourth is the greater amount of setup tweaking needed for good video performance. Yet another is the vertical shift problem which shows up when paired w/ certain displays -- not my Panny RPTV though.

Basically, if you can live w/ the flaws, it can be a great player. I'm even learning to live w/ the silver finish. :p)

_Man_

4. Bryan Guth

Bryan Guth Agent

I auditioned this unit recently because I am looking to upgrade to a DVD player with the Faroudja chipset and SACD capability. Although CD and SACD performance was stellar, I was disappointed with the picture quality. Compared to my Panasonic RP82, the image was problematic, and the flaws I noticed could not be tempered. "Fast & Furious" had noticeable jagged edges and moire in most scenes. "Monsters, Inc" had jagged edges around Mike in every frame. "Moulin Rouge" had artifacts as well, including many that the Panny player smoothes out flawlessly. I love the look of this unit--very sleek. And the sound was an improvement over the RP82. But PQ means everything to me, since I would primarily be using this player for movies. Needless to say, I was depressed. I returned the unit to Good Guys and tested their floor model with the same DVDs used at home...and saw the exact same problems in the exact same place. Looks like I'm hanging on to the RP82 until something better comes along. If someone could combine the audio from the Marantx DV-8400 and the picture quality from the RP82, I would be blissed out. For now, the wait continues.

5. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

Something seems to be wrong with the setup of the 963 you saw. Every time I have watched anything with this player, I have been impressed with the smoothness and detail of the image.
    What display are you using? Did you check the Phillips was actually in progressive mode?

6. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Thanks for your replies.

I did look at the player and it does look nice. I did find some reviews but want to see like the DVD shootout to see how it does. I may look at the Denon 1200 but time will tell =).

7. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    Bryan,

I tend to agree w/ Craig that something might've been wrong w/ the setup. Certainly, it should not look like what you described. I don't have Moulin Rouge and Fast & Furious, but I don't see the problems w/ Monsters Inc or various other DVDs I've tried. My player does have some chroma delay in 480p by default, but the chroma delay adjustment fixed most of that. I also found a need to adjust gamma.

Anyway, only setup related issues I can think of that might cause the problems you saw are what Craig suggested and maybe the True Life setting, which should be set to zero/off instead of the default 1(?). For 480p, you need to flip the switch on the back of the player (and make sure DCDi is set to on in the setup menu).

_Man_

8. matt-f

matt-f Second Unit

Hi Man,

I heard there was a firmware update which can actaully fix the chroma bug. I have also seen a website which can actually make the unit region free as well.

9. Bryan Guth

Bryan Guth Agent

Thanks for the input, guys. Maybe I had a bum player, because everything you suggested above was implemented during the audition process. I actually enjoyed the interlaced mode of this player more than the progressive, which is unusual. I'm a big fan of the Faroudja deinterlacting chip, and expected the newest version to best the 2200 chip in my RP82, but it didn't. What's strange is the demo unit in the store displayed the same problems I noticed in my home. My television is a Toshiba 65HX81 HDTV-ready widescreen set that has been professionally calibrated.