What's new

Philips DVD963SA vs. Pioneer DV-45A (1 Viewer)

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
I’m getting ready to buy a new source component and would like some opinions. I have narrowed down my choices to the Philips DVD963SA and the Pioneer DV-45A. I know that both players will play DVD and SACD and only the Pioneer will play DVD-A. I have a very large Redbook CD collection that I still listen to frequently. So what I want to know is which player has the better Redbook playback.

Which player is the better DVD player? I will be upgrading my monitor soon and would like the best picture possible. I’ve read that the Pioneer fails the chroma bug test. Does anyone know about the Philips and this test?

Thanks for the help.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
The two players are in very different categories for DVD playback. The Pioneer is a flag reading only player with the chroma bug. The 963 is a player that expands on the excellent picture quality and de-interlacer of the 962 with a better video DAC, and supposedly even better SACD/CD playback. We are awaiting a review sample of the 963, but if you are looking for the best progressive scan picture quality, I can safely say the 963 should be signficantly better.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you for the compliment. I think you will like the Philips unit, both my brother and one of my good friends has the Philips 962.

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
Manjo, my 963 arrived yesterday. I spent last evening hooking it up, and testing it out. While I was out today, I worked on burning it in. So far I am very happy with this player. Thanks again for the advice.

;)

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
You are entirely welcome, I expect to have our review unit in the next week or so.

Tim Tepas

Auditioning
Jeff,
I just reviewed the Pioneer DV-45A and was pretty disappointed at the video playback. You made the right choice with the 963. Look for my review in an unpcoming issue.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, although you spelled my name wrong :), I will let you know the 963 should be arriving this week. I will ask the Philips folks at my next opportunity about the angle icon issue. These players are software upgradeable, so issues such as that can be solved. As Tim mentioned, the Pioneer 45A does have some disappointments on the video side, as it is solely a flag reading progressive scan player. With deceent progressive scan chipsets so cheap today, it seems a shame that more effort was not taken by Pioneer on this universal player.

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
Manoj, sorry I misspelled your name:b Please let me know if you learn anything from Philips. I'm anxiously anticipating your review of this player.

Jeff

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, I am looking forward to the 963 also. I really liked the 962, and the new player has the new Faroudja 2300 series chip, a better video DAC, and I have been told the SACD is better also. What have your views been so far?

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
Manoj, I don't have a progressive scan TV, so I can't comment on the picuter quality with it. However, comparing the 963 to my Toshiba 3109, there is a noticable improvement in the quality of the picture. Can you tell me if 3-2 conversion works in all modes or only in progressive scan? If it works in all modes, this could explain a lot. The picture is the best I have ever seen on my TV.

As far as the sound quality goes, the Philips is GREAT! It replaced my aging Marantz CD 63se. Redbook CD is the best I've ever heard in my system. Redbook that's upconverted is even better. SACD is truely astounding. I will definitely be looking forward to more titles in SACD.

I would say my only dislikes are the Philips menu system, the remote (thankfully I have a wonderful universal remote that came with my Integra receiver), and the angle problem.

I'm just up the road from you in Orange County. When the review sample arrives, I'd like to see what the picture quality is like with a better TV. That is if you're interested in having company? :D

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
You know Jeff, that may be kind of fun to have a few HTF members over when the Philips is here. I have a Fujitsu 50" plasma up and broken in, and you could compare the Philips to the Krell DVD Standard, the Marantz that has the Pioneer chipset (I have both of these here), and anything else that people could bring along. Let me take a look at my schedule and see when that would be possible.
As an aside, you really need to experience the Philips on a progressive scan HD television. I would encourage you to make that your next priority.

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Manoj, a progressive scan HD monitor is the next thing on my list. I've been considering the Toshiba 34", Panasonic 34", & Philips 34".

That is unless I can convince the Mrs. that we need a big screen or plasma.

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
Good News!!!

I received a phone call today from Philips customer care department. It seems they’ve listened to my complaint about the angle icon problem. They said that they would have a firmware disk available early next week that should correct the problem.

Hopefully this will correct everything? They can be reached at 800-531-0039.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks