Philips DVD962SA (SACD; DCDi; dual laser) - now online <$500

stephen_z

Stunt Coordinator
For those of us who are looking at a DVD player that can provide high performance video with 3:2 pulldown progressive scan and multi-channel SACD and hopefully good to great CD performance, we have anxiously been waiting for any news or reviews on the Philips DVD962SA (unfortunately, no DVD-A) which recently turned up on a Internet retailer's site (PAC-2000?)on Yahoo for ~$475 (5 star rating on Yahoo). Has anyone dealt with these guys or have heard anything more about the unit (there's suppose to be bass management... a newer model is supposedly coming out in September with a higher level of bass management). I've been asking around my local retailers and no one has much information on the 962. I am hopeful that this gets 3 key processes in one box.

It would be disappointing if it has any of the glitches reported from DVDQ50AT (frame freeze?).

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
Is this still a current model in the US? I was quite surprised to see it reviewed in the Feb edition of S&V.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
The '962SA has been replaced by the '963SA. I believe OneCall in the US has begun shipping the '963SA. One thing that the '963SA offers, unlike the '962SA is upsampling of CD to 24/192. The '963SA retails for $500, but last I heard, J&R Music World was taking pre-orders for $400. The '963SA has been discussed here extensively, so do a search.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Doug, how do you like the '963SA for DVD-Video, CD (upsampling), and SACD? What did you use before it?

Craig_Kg

Supporting Actor
That's what I thought, so why are S&V testing a superceded player? The photo in the article clearly showed it to be a 962 so it wasn't a misprint.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Craig, I have seen this before. A couple of years ago, Home Theater here in the US published a review of the JVC HR-S9600U S-VHS VCR at the time when its successor, the 'S9800U, had been released. As I was reading the review, dealers were either sold out of the 'S9600U or were blowing it out on clearance. In either case, dealers had the 'S9800U in stock. I guess reviews get delayed for any number of reasons, including delays in getting a test unit and due to space limitations that only allow so many reviews per issue.

ManojM

Stunt Coordinator
The 963SA has the new Faroudja 2300 chipset, a 13bit/108 MHz video DAC, and does CD upsampling. I am expecting to get a review sample soon. The 962 was the 2002 model, the 963 is the 2003 model.

Doug Fogle

Stunt Coordinator
Keith:First off.let me say thanks for all the great posts of yours I've read since I joined this forum'You have shared a lot of valuable information and I love your tagline! AS for the 963-so far have only watched one dvd and haven't calibrated the player yet-mainly did it to see if I had any of the problems I've seen posted.It doesn"t seem to and the picture is sharp=almost 3d.But I was using a toshiba 5109 before.(been waiting for the 963 since last april!)As far as audio-the upsampling is increadible.Or maybe its just the quality of the unit.Whatever,I've been playing cd's constantly,and every one seems like hearing it for the first time.Have a denon370 cd player-not highend.but a pretty good player,I think.The 963 blows it away.The sound is warmer and there seems to be more space between instuments while the soundstage is very focused.Female vocals.esp.are outstanding.SACD-have a sony775(cheapest sony) and the 963 is far superior.Again,haven't played not much-have been really busy listening to cd's.I don't think you could find a better sub-$500 cd player.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Doug, glad to help. Thanks! I'm also glad to hear that you are so happy with the '963SA. It sounds like a great unit. I too have a Denon '370, and while it is good for the money, there is obvious room for improvement. I am not really in the market for a new component, but I have been intrigued by the '963SA and may grab one someday. It seems to offer a lot for the money.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
70MM Ultra pana