Philips DVD724???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Wes Sokolosky, Jan 29, 2003.

1. Wes Sokolosky

Has anyone had hands on experience with this player. From what I can tell it is easily modified to be region free, and comes from the factory with the ability to put out a PAL as well as NTSC signal. Does the performance compare with the JVC 500/600 series that's available, as well as perhaps the Malata?

I am in the market for a player that can easily play and convert Region 2 DVDs for NTSC televisions. Any suggestions regarding this or other players on the 3-6 month horizon?

Appreciate all suggestions.

Thanks

Wes

2. Michael Sliger

Michael Sliger Second Unit

I don't have hands-on experience with the Philips 724, but I have read many reports stating that this player distorts the image of PAL disks at least slightly. Anamorphic PAL disks are squished to a 4x3 ratio. There are a few complaints about artifacting with some PAL disks in progressive mode as well, so it doesn't appear that this player is a great solution.

http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdhacks.php?...ps%20DVD%20724
    http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.ph...arch&#comments

There are a few new chipsets coming onto the market which allow for proper PAL to NTSC conversions (Cirrus Logic CS98100 [Cyberhome 500], SUNPLUS [Daewoo 5900, Himage HJ-2209], and the Zoran Vaddis chips), but virtually all of the players with these chips have moderate to severe flaws currently. A solid, inexpensive player for all-region playback might appear in 3-6 months as more players with these chipsets appear, but there doesn't appear to be one currently. I tried the Cyberhome CH-DVD 500 myself, but it didn't fit my needs (heavy screen breakup with one of my PAL disks, jittery SVCD playback, bad progressive scan with some TVs unless you ship your player back to Argus for a replacement). The Daewoo 5900 reportedly has some severe lip-sync issues with some disks and sometimes turns on subtitles without user prompting.

The Nerd-Out forums are a great place for info about region-free DVD players. I highly suggest reading there before making a purchase.

http://www.nerd-out.com/forum/index.php

3. Wes Sokolosky

Michael,

Thanks for the information and suggestions. I'll check out the links. At this point it sounds like the JVC 500/600 players or the Malatas remain the best bet for simplicity.

Wes

4. VincentK

VincentK Extra

i'll second that. i have a jvc 602 and it converts pal to ntsc flawlessly.

5. Wes Sokolosky

Vincent,

Where did you get your JVC? In the Bay Area?

Wes