What's new

Philips DVD Player Bug.... (1 Viewer)

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
:angry: I just purchased a Philips DVD963SA. I am very happy with this player except for the following item. When a disk is played that has different screen angles, the Philips produces an icon in the upper left hand corner of the screen to show that their are angles present on the disk. To my knowledge there is no way to turn this off.
This is extremely disturbing on the Tomorrow Never Dies disk.

I've contacted Philips tech support who advises there is no firmware update to correct this problem. I understand that Philips is known for having this problem with other players too. Why they haven't fixed it is a mystery.

What is upsetting is that this is their top of the line player that has so many other wonderful features. I hope they correct this problem soon, or another soon to be great player could just go down in history without leaving a mark.

I want to know if you think I should return the player to the vendor?

Here is another thread at AVS forum reguarding this:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=230512

AaronJB

Second Unit
I'd think that'd be something that they would have fixed long before players hit shelves. I'd think it would be a serious annoyance on some programs that have a lot of multi-angle stuff (the "Clerks" animated series DVD, for example).

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
I received a phone call today from Philips customer care department. It seems they’ve listened to my complaint about the angle icon problem. They said that they would have a firmware disk available early next week that should correct the problem.

Hopefully this will correct everything? They can be reached at 800-531-0039.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, wow, that was fast! Let's see if Philips comes through, but this is very encouraging. I would never have expected such a positive response so fast.

Jeff Weight

Stunt Coordinator
Two weeks ago, I contacted Philips with my concerns and disappointment regarding the angle icon problem on the DVD963SA. I was told at that time that their technical support department would have to look into this problem and get back to me.

Last Monday I received a phone call from them stating that they had opened a case on this and would have a firmware upgrade available today that would correct the problem. I am hopeful that this update will correct the problem.

Today I called, gave them my case number and asked for the update. I was put on hold three times for a total of 30 minutes. At the end of this hold period, I was informed that they knew nothing of a firmware update, and someone from Philips would contact me within 24 hours to tell me what to do.

Needless to say I’m a little pissed off with Philips. Either they recognize that they have a problem and are going to correct it, or they don’t. I don’t appreciate getting a phone call telling me that there will be new firmware available, only to find out they know nothing about it. One other thing that is annoying me is that fact that everyone I have spoken to at Philips has very poor English. I have nothing against foreigners, but I would like to speak with someone that I can understand, and that can understand what I’m saying.

Philips has 24 hours to respond positively to my complaint. If I’m not satisfied with their response within this time, I’m going to start going up the ladder until I am.

I would appreciate all of you that own this player contacting Philips and letting them know of your disappointment, and your desire for them to correct their problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks