PHILIPS DVD 963SA , is it worth $250?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Colin+M, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Colin+M

Colin+M Stunt Coordinator

I ran across one of these for sale (refurb) for around $250, is this player worth the money? i have heard mixed reviews about it. I am interested in it mainly for the SACD ability.

Any thoughts?

thanks

2. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

IIRC, the 563a sold new (it has been discontinued) for just under $200. Used ones hit AudioGon and the various forums for $100-$150 on a regular basis.

3. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

Dan, I think you have your vendors and model #s crossed...

Colin is asking about the Philips 963, not the Pio.

I have not heard this machine, but I seem to recall reading a lot of positive stuff in the various rags I subscribe to (both for its audio and video). And it was somewhere around $500 when new, right?

Maybe some googling will turn them up?

BGL

4. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

[​IMG]
    Um, are you sure that wasn't a 5, and Colin didn't edit the title? :b

5. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    The 963sa received lots of raves for audio quality for both redbook CD (upsampled to 96Khz or higher) and SACD. Video side was a bit mixed despite being one of the first players to sport the Faroudja FLI2300 chip, but not bad for the most part. It does need a fix to get rid of some greenish tint vertical bars that are just barely noticeable in certain dark scenes. I don't have the details anymore, but you might try searching on AVS for more details. Also, overall player operation/navigation is rather slow.

Other features of interest included that it could be region-hacked via RC6-capable universal remotes (but not the one included), that it does very good PAL-to-NTSC conversion, that it could play PAL directly also (for those who might use it for front projectors), that it could automatically handle 4x3 formatted material using black sidebars -- but unfortunately, cannot scale letterbox images to fit the width of your display (vs using sidebars) -- etc.

IIRC, I paid somewhere between $400-450 for mine.

_Man_