Philips CD-RW not recognizing blank discs

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Handy, Apr 22, 2002.

1. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

Hey all,

I have a Philips CDRW2412, 24x R, 12x RW capacity. Here is the configuration. I have the CD-R set up as a secondary IDE slave. I also have a CD-ROM as the master on the same IDE cord. OS = Win2000, Gateway computer.

The problem is that the CD-RW will read pre-recorded CDs (games, software, etc.), but when I put in a blank disc and activate the Easy CD Creator, it doesn't recognize the disc. In "My Computer", if I put a blank CD-R into the RW drive, I get an error (Drive not accessible).

Any help here? Thanks

Jason H.

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

This is just a guess, but it seems to me like the CD-RW driver for the drive isn't installed, thus the OS is treating the drive as a regular CD-ROM instead of a burner.

There should be drivers on the CD that came with the drive, or downloadable off the net.

KJP

3. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

No luck there, Kevin. I installed the drive using the manufacturer's install disc. I also went to the Philips website and looked for updated drivers but there were none to be found. Is there some restriction that forces CD-RWs to be a master drive? Currently it is slaved to another CD-ROM, but maybe I just need to swap the locations.

Jason

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Slave or master - shouldn't make any difference. A CD-RW drive is treat as a CD-ROM by Windows in terms of drivers. The actual burning software handles the R/RW functionality.

This is either a software issue - check the Roxio.com site for updates or patches for your version of Adaptec Easy CD - or possibly a faulty drive. If you can try another burning app (try Nero) you can rule out one or the other.

5. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

I have the latest drivers from Roxio's website, perhaps I need to get my paws on some other software. Is there anyh good shareware or "Try before you buy" software that might save me from dropping the extra cash on more burning software?

Jason

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

You can download the trial version of Nero. I think it'll only let you burn at x1 (or some similar limitation).
    www.nero.com

7. Jason Handy

Jason Handy Second Unit

OK, thanks for the link, Rob. It turns out that Nero works like a charm. I dunno why the crack smok-, er, I mean distributors of Philips CD-RW drives would ship out CD-burning software that does not work for Windows 2000 (I am assuming this was the problem).

I plan to get the full version of Nero this week so that we can be up and running at full speed.

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Jason H.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Nero is better than Easy CD anyway.