What's new

Philips Bringing Super Audio to Cars! (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
People were just interjecting a realistic perspective into the thread. You have a problem with it because you can't accpet any negative perspective towards SACD. It seems like SACD and Sony/Philips can do no wrong to you.
Marc,

It was a lot of people interjecting negative comments into a very positive thread on big SACD news. That clearly goes against the announcement by Ron and Packy about negative comments in a positive thread. Read their announcement.

I did not make any wild claims, I only reported what I had read and suggested it would probably lead to more releases. We then got nearly three dozen negative comments attacking various aspects of the news story. Even Lewis attacked the DSOTM sales numbers themselves-why would Sony fudge that given that the numbers are readily reported?

I have never been of the mind that Sony or Philips or Super Audio can do "no wrong". On dozens of occasions I have blamed Sony for lackluster and third rate marketing. I have said repeatedly that we need retailer education, more new releases, more hybrids, more single inventory, etc. But I also see a real bias at times against Sony and I try and step in to defend things that are IMHO factually incorrect such as the number of systems Sony offers with SACD capability. I also try to give the perspective on the new format from one who works on, produces, and records albums and has some valuable knowledge about how studios are taking up the format. I also try to give the perspective on how album sales are interpreted by major executives at the labels.

I have no affiliation with any one official on the Sony Super Audio project team, Sony, Philips, or any major gear maker, except that I know a few who worked with Chesky Records. If Rachael and others want to believe otherwise, then fine. I got back into music in large part due to a demonstration of Super Audio and I think it is one helluva audio achievement. I also like DVD-audio which sounds almost as good to my ears given a good treatment. My only agenda is to see more hirez releases so we can get closer to the music.

I was particularly careful to be neutral in my original postings so that this thread would not degenerate into a "format war" type discussion. I think many of us are very tired of that.

Unfortunately I was wrong. It seems we just can't enjoy good news here about a format many of us have bought into.

I think that speaks volumes about the value of the participation here, and I think it is time for me to move on.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I think that speaks volumes about the value of the participation here, and I think it is time for me to move on.
I think the value of participation is far higher at forums like HTF where there are no sacred cows and no assertion is above balanced, honest, logical scrutiny.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Michael,

You took my comments completley out of context. I was responding to Marc Colella's point about Super Audio losing momentum in Europe. He said:

As for how Super Audio is doing, when you sell 1 million SACD players in 8 months for Europe alone, it certainly indicates momentum. And they are outselling DVDA players 4:1 there...
There was no intent to have a format war in this thread whatsoever-only to show that there are some very good signs in Europe.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
As for how Super Audio is doing, when you sell 1 million SACD players in 8 months for Europe alone, it certainly indicates momentum. And they are outselling DVDA players 4:1 there...
Lee, I was the first person to post in this thread outside of yourself and Tony-B, and if you follow the flow of the thread you'll see that you took the first shot at a format-war without anyone provoking you.

RobBenton

Stunt Coordinator
I agree I think the original post was a bit spun in favor of sacd.. especially with the statement about the rolling stone disc sales.. most people would read that as sacd sold that many which would then make you think that it is wildly popular where as in fact very few of those total sales were because of sacd. This in my opinoin is meant to make things sound better for sacd then they actually are and not in a small way.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
most people would read that as sacd sold that many which would then make you think that it is wildly popular where as in fact very few of those total sales were because of sacd.
Rob,

I made it very clear that I was discussing the value of record execs seeing many sales would be high. I never said that x% or so many units of the million Stones discs were Super Audio or redbook purchases. We simply have no way of knowing this.

The good news is that the numbers are strong enough that more big albums will likely be releases. It will be interesting to see possibly more Pink Floyd albums, for instance.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks