Philips, any good?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike_Stirlin, Oct 18, 2003.

1. Mike_Stirlin

Mike_Stirlin Auditioning

Oct 18, 2003
    i just have a question about this shelf system i was looking to buy... wanted to find out if it was any good, since i never herd of it untel just the other day

its the philips FWC579 and it interested me most of all because of its nicce looks and also because it has a usb jack to plug into your computer. its pretty cool check it out.
    it even got featured in maxim magazine.

anyone know anything about this little number?
  2. Mike Up

Mike Up Second Unit

Dec 16, 2002
    I have 3 Philips/Magnavox televisions that are less than 3 years old. I have a buddy who has a Philips DirecTV receiver.

We are both very disappointed in this brand. He had nothing but trouble with his new Philips DirecTV receiver that replaced his well liked RCA receiver(which got struck by lightning because installer did not ground properly[​IMG] ).

My televisions can be described in a brief statement[​IMG] , horrid PQ, quirky meaning pushing one button does something it shouldn't(as when pushing the volume - either on remote or console it brings up the menu?!?!?!. ALL 3 TVs do this!). Oh yeh, one has the dreaded jail bar distortion resulting from an improperly shielded/isolated power transformer.

Oh yeah, I also had one of their CD recorders. Filled with bugs. It would never record right and would leave clicks and pops in the CD recording. Circuit City could not fix this and thought it was inherent in design. They replaced with another make.

I would run away. Just my opinion.[​IMG]

Good luck.