What's new

Philips 60pp9601: Any opinions? (1 Viewer)

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
I'm thinking of buying this set because i want a big tv with progressive scan (480p) for the DVD and the ability to show 16:9 DVDs unsqueezed on a 4:3 set.
But does anyone know anything negative about this set that i should know?
Also, what is a reasonable price for it?
Thanks!

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
I know something of this set. :)
It's reportedly the same hardware as the 55PP9701, but with a taller screen. The 60PP9601 is a widescreen set disguised as a 4:3.
PLUSES: Widescreen/full toggle, great HD color and resolution, separate VGA/RGB and component inputs, glare screen is easy to remove, accepts computer 60 Hz VGA at 480p/960i, 540p/1080i, and 600p/1200i, flexible configuration/convergence with 6 different memories, one of the best sets for use with a HTPC.
MINUSES: 480i input looks washed out (I suggest you use an external liner doubler into an HD input), set is geared for 1080i so 480p scan lines are a bit visible from 8 feet, narly internal reflections despite (or maybe because of) lens hoods, contrast is not as good as say a Mitsu 55907, no discrete input selection, noisy fan (suggest you replace with PC Power & Cooling Silencer fan), speakers sound muddy (suggest you stick to a separate 5.1 sound system), big and heavy, no Mitsubishi promise, Philips had bad rep for customer service.
Costco has it for $2199, but they won't deliver it and the set weighs about 235 pounds. So, if you can get it for $2399 or less delivered, I'd say that's reasonable. I advise against an extended warranty.
You might want to go to the link below to talk to others who own the set.
------------------
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Philips_HDTV/joinClick to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

steve jaros

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steve
Abdul, thanks for the information, and the link to the Yahoo group.
May i ask you one more thing? Do i need a progressive scan DVD player to enjoy 480p DVD resolution with this TV?

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Any HD ready set will line double a regular dvd player to give you 480p but it will not be the same quality as the picture from a progressive scan player where the doubling is accomplished in the digital domain...
------------------

Abdul Jalib

Stunt Coordinator
It depends what you mean.
You can plug an interlaced DVD player into the 480i inputs (component or s-video), and the picture will likely be lackluster in color. The Philips line doubler will line double 480i to 480p, but it is not the greatest, though not the worst either. So, you can do it, but whether you will "enjoy" it is another story. :) It's good enough to limp along on for a few months, but either buy a different set or don't live this way forever.
You can use a 480i->480p DVDO iScan Pro or better yet a 480i->600p Faroudja to line double both your interlaced DVD player and your regular 480i NTSC TV, and then stuff the progressive input into either the RGB or component. The color looks great this way, and the line doubler is better than the Philips' internal one. I really like how the best DirecTV channels look when pumped through a DVDO iScan Pro and displayed on the 60PP9601.
Or you can go for a progressive DVD player. The Philips set certainly accepts 480p component (or RGB) and will squeeze or unsqueeze as you please. This will probably supply a hair better picture than the DVDO iScan Pro.
Or you can try waiting for X-Box, which is rumored to output DVD upscaled to 1080i.
Or you could use a PC with a Radeon card and ATI Player 4.1 and the settings from Link Removed to subscribe to Philips_HDTV discussion group

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks