Philips 55" LCOS problem

Discussion in 'Displays' started by bruin, May 1, 2004.

1. bruin

bruin Second Unit

My brother just got the Philips LCOS 55" tv and one thing that was really bothersome are flickering lines during chapter 26 (?), the Neo vs Smith fight scene in Matrix Revolutions.

Whenever lightning strikes, there are obvious horizontal flickering lines.

He uses an S-Video connection to the tv and doesn't want to buy a progressive scan dvd if he doesn't have to.

Has anyone experienced this similar problem?

James

2. David Parrish

David Parrish Stunt Coordinator

Tell your bro to return the tv. Between using problem ridden LCOS technology and having a color wheel it's going to give him years of dissatisfaction. A Sony/Hitachi LCD or Samsung DLP would serve him much better.

3. DuWayne

DuWayne Stunt Coordinator

First of all, What color wheel?! There isn't a color wheel in LCOS...at least not projectors, and I don't believe I had one in my LCOS...but anyway:

I had the LCOS TV you talked about, and the problem isn't so much with the TV, its the fact that you are using S-Video sources. If thats all your brother wants to use, then this TV is overkill for him. The TV shines as an HD/Progressive Display, and should be taken advatage of.

I traded up for Front Projection, only because I wanted a Sharper/Larger picture. LCOS displays are mainly for Videophiles. It will give you a Soft/Natural picture.

Bottom Line: The TV is fine, choice of input isn't. *NOTE: I too saw things like this when I hooked up S-Video to my LCOS, which went away when using Component.

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

David is probably talking about the color prism in the Philips LCOS set.

5. bruin

bruin Second Unit

My bro just bought a progressive scan dvd player and hooked it up via component and the flickering was still there.

He went back to the store to replace it with the Samsung 507 dlp set. When we tested Matrix 3 at the store with the Duel scene, the output had none of the problems with the Philips.

So we're guessing the Philips set was defective.