Philips 34" 16:9 vs. RCA 38" 16:9

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Mar 15, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

ugh. i absolutely cannot make up my mind with these two tv sets.

i decided to go tube after ALMOST getting the Philips 55" RPTV 16:9 that Onecall has for approx. $1800. While it sounds great for an RPTV, I noticed that a lot of the reviews pointed out washed out colors in non-progressive viewing (which i'll be doing about 50% of the time, and i don't want to by an external line doubler). Also, I just really prefer tubes (not to mention 55" is a little big for our room) and both of these sets, almost every time i see one, has a BEAUTIFUL picture.

Anyway, I can get both the Philips 34" and the RCA 38" for around the same price. I definitely like the size of the RCA, and don't mind the curved screen (although the flat Philips screen is appealing). The Philips sets seem MUCH more reliable, however, and has more inputs. Quality control on the 38" RCA has a VERY shady past.

One big plus for the RCA is the built-in HDTV receiver. I'm not sure about the SVM situation with these sets, although people that own the RCA seem to think it's a non-issue even though it's apparently activated. Not sure about the Philips.

Any input would help. I'll be buying one of these next week. Whichever one i get, i'll have a good return policy within 30 days even if i just don't like the way it looks (i have to pay shipping if it's not defective but it's worth the risk to me). The RCA's size might be the deciding factor, although I'd bet that the Philips set is of higher quality.

HEEEELLLPP!!

thanks!

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Sean
    I've thought long and hard about the RCA. I would only buy the RCA with an extended warranty. Also, I would probably only buy it from a bricks and mortar store. With the potential for problems, I would not be comfortable with an internet purchase. If I had problems with it I would want to be able to get it back to some place local. If I were going to buy a tube set, I would most likely go with the Sony XBR700, the 40 inch 4:3 tube. It is the equavalent of a 37 inch 16:9. With unstreched 4:3 material the 40 has a huge advantage in picture size.
    I would have some qualms about the Sony as well. only with an extended warranty.
    The RCA is much cheaper than the Sony 40.
    I would not spend >$2,000 for a 34 inch 16:9. Just too small (for me). I don't want to have to sit 5 feet from the set to get decent picture size.
    Artie

3. Sean Patrick

thanks for the info.

i agree that the 34" philips would probably be too small. however, the 40" Sony is out of my price range, and my experience with my 32" Wega has been less than satisfying (geometry issues that can't be solved in the service menu, green tints on a corner NOT caused by magnetic interference, un-uniform brightness), so i don't think i'll be sinking that much money into a sony right now.

i guess i'm leaning towards the 38" RCA. I know it's a risk but the price is great for a 16:9 tube, AND it has a built in hdtv tuner (which would cost me an additional 400-500 with other sets).

the one thing i really like about the particular philips 34" i was looking at is its black cabinet and REALLY sleek matching stand. the current philips sets are silver, but this slightly older model looks 100 times better.

if anyone else has any advice, i need it!

4. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Sean

If you don't mind, where are you thinking about buying the RCA and what price do they have on it?

Thanks

Artie

5. Sean Patrick

www.spectravox.com
    they have new ones for $2100 and refurb's for $1700. I'm probably getting a refurbished one.

6. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Have you heard the fan on the RCA?

Loud! To loud too enjoy music or some movies. You don't always listen too "Blockbuster" movies, do you?

Also, vertical black lines appear on all RCA F38310, on the left side of the set, when red, brown, or fleshtones are in that field. Very bothersome, and RCA does not see the problem, therefore will not fix it.