Philips 34" 16:9 models....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Sean Patrick, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Sean Patrick

Sean Patrick Supporting Actor

i have the chance to get a special price on a new (not refurbished) Philips 34" 34PW9846. This is the one with teh black finish and the older comb filter (the more prevalent grey-colored models have a 3d comb filter).

This set normally goes for $3500 but i have a chance to get it at $1999 shipped through an employee discount. I was one mousle click awayf rom getting an RCA F38310 and freaked out at the last minute after some last minute horror stories of the overall unreliability of the tv and many problems with RCA service tehnicians.

So my two main questions - does the comb filter on the other models (which I could get for $500 more) really that much better?

And can anyone who has this TV give me some overall impressions of it?

thanks

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Who's telling you the Philips is unreliable? Why are RCA techies involved? I've heard nothing but good about these sets. And if you can get it at that price, it's a steal.

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

I agree with Jack..I have seen many good reviews on the phillips sets also..

4. Sean Patrick

i guess i was unclear - i haven't heard anything bad about the Philips 16:9 34" sets other than some geometry problems that can be fixed in the service menu and some sort of "vertical line" problem i don't quite understand.

I was speaking of the Rca 38" set when i was talking about the horror stories of unreliability. that's why i have held off buying it. I've loved the way it looks with an HD feed in showroom floors but supposedly there is a high chance of getting a lemon.

5. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Sean,

Sorry, I misunderstood..When the rca set first came out a few years ago there were some problems with the set..The first sets where actually recalled...I have not hard of any problems with the set in the past year...

6. Sean Patrick

I plan on using the component input for a progressive dvd player - since i also plan on getting a HDTV receiver, how am i going to have BOTH hooked up? I guess i could go unplus it each time but do they have any sort of splitter for these kinds of feeds?

Also, is it tough to turn off the SVM in these models? "Digital Natural Motion" sounds like SVM to me!

Also, will not getting the 3-d comb filter hurt me? The model i can get for that great price has the normal comb filter.

7. Victor Y

Victor Y Agent

Philips's HD picture look a little bit soft to me. They also have only one HD component input. It is also more difficult to get in the service menu to correct the geometry setting. Also their service is very bad.

8. Steven M Dill

Steven M Dill Auditioning

Last I checked RCA, Philips, and Magnavox TV's were all made by the same company. Something to think about.

9. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Sean..The Rca set has a built in HD receiver already...

10. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

RCA sets are not manufactured by the same company that manufactures Philips!

The brand names RCA, RCA Scenium, and GE are manufactured by Thomson Multimedia (formerly Thomson Consumer Electronics). Philips makes its own sets, as well as RPTVs sold under the Marantz moniker.

As for the 38-inch 16:9 RCA: avoid. The model has suffered consistently from power-supply failures.

11. Sean Patrick

the RCA's built in HDTV tuner is a definite plus, because that way i could use the progressive input for dvd's. it's $500 of built in value having the receiver built in, plus it's 4" bigger.

But i can't get around the shaky track record the tv set has. I'd be getting a refubished one shipped for around $1900. I can have the Philips, new, for the same price. But it's smaller and doesn't have the tuner built-in, and has only one HD/progressive input.

Both places i'd be buying from have 30 day money back deals for whatever reason i'd want to return it, but basically i'm back to square one with my decision. I have no idea which one i'm giong to buy.

12. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    You can also get the Panasonic and Toshiba 34" 16x9 sets for roughly the same price. I hear lot's of good things about these. I haven't seen the Philips though so I don't know how they compare but in general Pani and Tosh are the more popular TV choices than the philips.

13. Sean Patrick

1) the toshiba and panasonic's are just out of my price range. also with the philips i'd be getting it for $1500 less than the next cheapest place i could find it online, and from what i've seen in stores (i know this is not always very conclusive), the philips looked a lot better to my eye. i wouldn't be getting a refurb, it's brand new and a philips employee discount.

2) what would i use if i wanted two progressive inputs? do they make switchers for component/progressive? if not (or if these are expensive) i might go with the RCA because of the built in HDTV tuner saving me $500 and eliminating the need, for now, for a second HD input or a set-top-box.

sorry i keep asking so many questions, it's just that i want to make my mind up ASAP and have never been so torn on a piece of electronics in my life.